PDA

View Full Version : MOREHEN - Wadenoe - Northants

Andy Morehen
28-12-2009, 6:44 PM
My Name is Andrew Morehen and my ggggg grandfarther was John Morehen born in Wadenhoe Northants gggg William 1792 ggg John 1834 gg Walter 1874and g Frank Walter 1893 ( he died when i was 6 ) who left Wadenhoe to move to Northampton with his mother Charlotte Elizabeth Moore when a boy and where my family have lived ever since, my grandfather who is still alive at 91 as is my Roger. I also have three boys, so the good name of Morehen lives on.

Does anyone have any further Morehen information / contacts to assist me with my tree.

How do i go beyond John.

Regards

Andy

MarkJ
28-12-2009, 6:50 PM
Hi Andy - and welcome to the forum.

As this is more of a question than a Surname Interests, I have moved the post. If it stayed in the Surname Interests forum, it would be closed, so I thought it may be better located in the Northamptonshire forum.

Mark

PamG
29-12-2009, 3:23 AM
Hi Andy,

My maiden name was Morehen, and John Morehen (d. about 1812) was my gggg grandfather. William (b. 1792) was the brother of my ggg grandfather John (b. abt 1800).

I will contact you through the private message system.

regards

Pam

jeeb
29-12-2009, 9:48 AM
Hi Andy,
Welcome to BG Forum.

Just incase you have not found William & Lucy Morehen in 1851 they can be found in Wadenhoe at ref HO107/1746 Folio 94 Page 6 and have been mistranscribed as THOVEHEN.

Jeremy

Geoffers
29-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Just incase you have not found William & Lucy Morehen in 1851 they can be found in Wadenhoe at ref HO107/1746 Folio 94 Page 6 and have been mistranscribed as THOVEHEN

That does depend on which pay-per-view site is being used, on at least two the name is correctly transcribed.

jeeb
29-12-2009, 12:43 PM
That does depend on which pay-per-view site is being used, on at least two the name is correctly transcribed.

Geoffers you are quite right to point out that not all sites have William Morehen indexed incorrectly.

What I was pointing out to Andy, perhaps rather clumsily, was incase he had not found William & Lucy Morehen in 1851 because he was using a certain site (that I decided not to 'name and shame') then he would need to look under 'Thovehen.

Jeremy

Geoffers
29-12-2009, 1:03 PM
Jeeb, I should have added that no adverse cristicism was intended (and of course you kindly provided the full reference so the entry can easily be found anyway); I was just trying to show that there is some disparity between sites - none of them are perfect - but they do make things easier than when you and I first began research (Well me at least, you're far too young to remember them old days).

jeeb
29-12-2009, 1:26 PM
Jeeb, I should have added that no adverse cristicism was intended (and of course you kindly provided the full reference so the entry can easily be found anyway); I was just trying to show that there is some disparity between sites - none of them are perfect - but they do make things easier than when you and I first began research (Well me at least, you're far too young to remember them old days).

Hi Geoffers,
I didn't read your reply as criticism and as I said you were quite right to point out that not all sites had indexed it incorrectly.

I totally agree these sites are a great asset to researchers and I find them very useful despite the many errors on them. I'm afraid I'm not that young either Geoffers and can well remember travelling the country in search of information dotted around various Record Offices in often unindexed collections. It was of course great fun and made those certain finds all that more special because of what was involved in tracking them down but I'm afraid I have to admit I now prefer to sit in front of my computer and tap in a bit of information and 'hey presto' (well not always!)

Jeremy

janbooth
29-12-2009, 2:49 PM
Hello Andy and welcome to the Forum,

From Northamptonshire Marriage Index:

26 February 1781 at Wadenhoe John MORHEN, of the parish, bachelor married Mary CAMBEL, of the parish, spinster

16 February 1813 at Wadenhoe Thomas PORTER, of the parish, Carpenter married Lydia MORHEN, of the parish, spinster

27 October 1823 at Wadenhoe John MOREHEN, of the parish, bachelor married Ann HILL, of the parish, spinster

17 August 1828 at Aldwincle All Saints William MOORHEN, of Wadenhoe, bachelor married Lucy EETE, of the parish, spinster

Given that according to the 1861 census of Wadenhoe, William was a Shepherd and that son John was married to an Ann, perhaps this marriage is relevant also:

15 October 1860 at Oundle John MOREHEN, 26, bachelor, labourer, father William, shepherd married Ann ROE, 24, of Ashton in Oundle, spinster, father's details blank

The above marriage record suggests that Ann could have been illegitimate.

HTH

Janet

Andy Morehen
30-12-2009, 1:22 PM
Dear Pam, Jeremy, Geoff and Jan

Thank you all for your speedy replies

This is the first time that i have picked up my family tre..e for over 15 years, prompted by my youngest son with the why, where, what questions around the Christmas dinner table.

My previous research started 20 years ago before the internet. Visits to the local Mormon church, Northamptonshire record offices, the Village of Wadenhoe and the best information of all my great granfatherts sons who had started a family tree on a cigarette packet!! all information leads to the same line of John so comfortable that i have the correct line.

My dilema is how / the best way i go beyond John. Can anyone help???

I know John MORHEN spelt without the E being my ggggg granfather was once married to a Mary nee CAMBEL who had a daughter Mary MOORHEN (b May 30th 1784) spelt like the bird. Mary his wife died April 10th 1784 persumably at the birth and John married Elizabeth Gladsun 31st Jan 1785 a quick mover was John, where my line of ggggg granfather William MOREHEN starts.

Many Thanks

Andy

Geoffers
30-12-2009, 8:34 PM
My dilema is how / the best way i go beyond John. Can anyone help???

Best way to begin with is the parish registers for Wadenoe. Do the entries for the family include additional detail which will help? Are there any additional notes made by clerics in the end papers of the register? Did the family leave wills? Is there a decent online catalogue for Northants which you could search for the surname to give you clues as to locations within the county where people with the same name lived? If the County Record Office site doesn't have its own catalgoue, try Access to Archives (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/) - try militia muster lists.

There may be quite a few sources that can be tried, but see what the Northants RO list as surviving records.

southistle
03-01-2010, 5:38 PM
Have you found the burial for John who married in 1781?

Knowing his age at death would help when looking for a baptism.

The Northants wills index is available on Find My Past, perhaps there were some family wills.