PDA

View Full Version : Banks

BeeE586
24-12-2009, 1:12 PM
I have just logged on to my bank to see the state of play (i.e. am I overdrawn ?) and they are offering me a free downloadable security package. Thought I would try it only to get a message to take care as this programme may contain viruses which could harm my machine.

Is someone having me on ? It was a genuine offer on the bank's own website after I had logged on with pin number and password.

What sort of security package is this !!!! http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t100/terryatavon/PuzzledGoofy.jpg

Eileen

MarkJ
24-12-2009, 1:35 PM
Most AV software looks for specific patterns and certain types of files. I expect your AV program has detected that this security package is an executable file for example and has flagged it up. The same sort of thing happens if you download for example Firefox - it is an executable package (i.e it can be run - in this case to install the browser) and such files, if from "iffy" sources, could contain malware such as trojans or other nasties.

My advice would be to contact the bank if you are in any way concerned - they will be able to verify that it is genuine or not.

Mark

Peter Goodey
24-12-2009, 2:34 PM
Isn't this a standard Windows warning when you try to download any software?

pattenwalsh
24-12-2009, 3:00 PM
If it's Natwest online banking then it's ok and has been offered for at least the last 8 months and goes under the name of "Rapport"

Lincoln Lad
24-12-2009, 4:03 PM
Barclays are also offering antivirus-malware by giving away Kasperspy internet security suite.

SBSFamilyhistory
25-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Lloyds also offer one.. I cannot remember the name off hand

Sue

DBCoup
26-12-2009, 7:38 PM
Follow Mark's advice and contact the bank.

If you "hover" (put mouse cursor over the link but DON'T click) over the link to the download and look at the link in the status bar. Malicious links often give themselves away by the actual link which is somewhere other than your bank.

To reiterate, follow Mark's advice. Better to "annoy" the bank than get a virus on your computer.
daryl

josie7644
26-12-2009, 8:09 PM
If it's Natwest online banking then it's ok and has been offered for at least the last 8 months and goes under the name of "Rapport"

Alliance and Leicester also offers "Rapport".

v.wells
26-12-2009, 8:10 PM
I have just read this morning's paper. There was an article about cyber crime attacking "smartphones" that are synchronized to home pc's for the purposes of hacking into email and online banking account information. So be smart out there everyone!

BeeE586
26-12-2009, 11:39 PM
I am wary about ALL downloads in spite of all the security backups I have. The weather has not allowed me to get out for several days - there has been a partial thaw but my cul de sac still resembles a rather rutted skating rink. I had every intention of speaking to someone in the bank next time I am in, the obvious thing to do.

Thank you all for your interest and replies.

Eileen

josie7644
27-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Hi Eileen,

Can't get out either! Everywhere is a skating rink! Suggest you ring the Bank on Tuesday!

Best,

Josie