PDA

View Full Version : old photo uniform

alimak
10-04-2005, 7:32 PM
i would like to know what uniform my grandmother is wearing and how old would she be on it the back of photo has DE YOUNGS BROADWAY AND 12th STREET, i also have a phot of her with my father on back has birkenhead uk where my father and myself where born i know he was born in december 1997 , but she looks a lot older on it , it would help me a lot if i could put an age to both of them as i only have her name KATHLEEN FARRELL to go by.- PS HOW DO I SEND MY PHOTOS IM NEW TO THREAD

Jo Simpsons
16-05-2005, 3:17 PM
For Alimak.Hope this is ok.
this photo has studios de young broadway and 12th st manhatton.
Alice in scotland

http://www.tribalpages.com/tpphotos/fullphotos43/jo14_439182.jpg

Jo Simpsons
17-05-2005, 9:26 AM
For Alimak

Guess on age? Baby born 1877

http://www.tribalpages.com/tpphotos/fullphotos43/jo14_439696.jpg

alimak
18-05-2005, 6:06 PM
the baby my father was born in 1897 not 1997 ? and how old would his mother be would like to know, also she is in uniform but is it a nurses uniform or domestic, has the photographer as De Young broadway and 12th st manhatton ,how old is llady in uniform ,if i find out her age i think it would point me in right direction in finding her ?

Geoffers
18-05-2005, 8:06 PM
i would like to know what uniform my grandmother is wearingDo you know if she was ever in service? It looks similar to the outift a maid might wear.

and how old would she bePure guess, but I'd suggest in her 20's in the first photo and 20s/30s in the second. Have you traced when she married, or died? If your father was born 1897 and the photo was taken in Birkenhead, does the family appear in the 1901 census?
The 1901 census website shows the following Kathleen FARRELLs who would have been old enough to have been a mum in 1897

Kathleen Farrell 24 Ireland Middlesex Finchley Domestic Servant
Kathleen Farrell 32 Ireland ... Surrey Walton On Thames Parlourmaid Domestic
Kathleen Farrell 33 Dunbar Northampton All Saints

Geoffers
Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Jo Simpsons
18-05-2005, 8:24 PM
Geoffers!

I have been trying to help Alice do this, she is new to the forum and doesn't really know how it all works as yet. Hope I'm not speaking out of turn but by email I know that Alice has had some problems with AOL and her connection and how the forum works. I have tried to help. So, I thought I'd jump in, while the iron's hot, so to speak! :D I wasn't sure if it may be better on another forum? Thoughts?
All Alice has on her Father is that he was born 1897, he is shown on the 1901 census as a foster living with his Grandmother, first name lost me at the mo, Mckay. His father John Patrick Mckay he is there too in his 20's.
Dreadful have to get some memory back! I'll check back :confused:
Alice does have his birth certificate that says mother Kathleen Farrell. An address of 43,Warwick Street, Birkenhead. His name as John Farrell otherwise known as Mckay.
I will look back and fill in the gaps I have left.
Jo :)

Jo Simpsons
18-05-2005, 8:32 PM
OK refreshed mind :)

John was living at 1 Mill Street Birkenhead in 1901

Emily Mckay, head, wid, 57, Kent, Maidstone
John Patrick, son, 25, general labourer, Cheshire, Birkenhead
John Farrell, foster son, 3, Cheshire, Birkenhead
there is a lodger too
Any help or ideas, I know Alice would take them all on board.

Jo :)

Victoria
19-05-2005, 1:59 AM
The uniform that Kathleen is wearing in the first picture looks like that of a maid, probably a parlormaid employed by a very well-off family, the sort of people that would have employed several servants, not just one or two maids. The uniform looks too fancy for a general domestic employed in the average middle-class household at that time.
As to age, the first picture is too blurry to guess. In the second one with the baby, I'd guess that she was in her early thirties.

Victoria

Geoffers
19-05-2005, 9:02 AM
I wasn't sure if it may be better on another forum? Thoughts?Well it's to do with photos, so it seems as good as any.

All Alice has on her Father is that he was born 1897, he is shown on the 1901 census as a foster living with his Grandmother, first name lost me at the mo, Mckay. His father John Patrick Mckay he is there too in his 20's. Alice does have his birth certificate that says mother Kathleen Farrell. An address of 43,Warwick Street, Birkenhead. His name as John Farrell otherwise known as Mckay."FARRELL otherwise known as MCKAY" suggests the birth may have been illegitimate. Alice, in the birth certificate what precisely is written in column 4, 'Name and surname of father' and column 5 'Name, surname and maiden name of mother.'? Also, in column 7 'Singature, description and residence of informant, who is recorded there?

Lastly for now, when John grew up, did he use he surname Mckay, or Farrell?

Geoffers

alimak
19-05-2005, 12:16 PM
hi geo birth certificate column (1) fifteenth december 1897 43 warwick st col (2)john (3) boy col (4) - col (5) kathleen farrell (6) - (7) k. farrell mother 43 warwick st birkenhead (8) sixth january 1898 (9) alexr blaylock jr registra (10) -

Geoffers
19-05-2005, 6:07 PM
hi geo birth certificate column (1) fifteenth december 1897 43 warwick st col (2)john (3) boy col (4) - col (5) kathleen farrell (6) - (7) k. farrell mother 43 warwick st birkenhead (8) sixth january 1898 (9) alexr blaylock jr registra (10) -
In that case, he was illegit. It may be worthwhile seaching the General Register Office (GRO) index of marriages to see if his parents married after your father's birth. You might try the freebmd site first:
http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
or the pay-per-view website 1837 online.

If they didn't marry and Kathleen Farrell just 'disappeared' then may prove difficult. You might still work through the index of marriages to see if you can locate any marriages for those of this name.

You mentioned previously:

[i would like to know what uniform my grandmother is wearing and how old would she be on it the back of photo has DE YOUNGS BROADWAY AND 12th STREET]

Would Broadway and 12th Street be in America? It may be worth checking the 1890 census to see if there was a Kathleen Farrell in service, possibly in New York?

Geoffers

alimak
15-08-2009, 10:07 AM
im still wondering if my g/mothers photo in uniform is a maid or nurse it was taken in n/york , still not found kathleen farrell my g/mother last resident is warwick st birkenhead were my father was born 1897, i have seen a kathleen farrell born 1860 living at 9 lowery st liverpool on lds 1881 census age 21 born birkenhead but seems to gone of the face of the earth

don.
17-08-2009, 7:31 AM
Going by the style of sleeving on the bodice I would suggest that both photographs were taken between 1893 and 1897 as that was the period when the gigot, more commonly called the leg of mutton, sleeve was in fashion. The photograph with the child can be narrowed down even further in between this period as the photographer, Charles Cantrell, operated from both addresses for a very short period from 1896/7 to 1898/99 and as the gigot sleeve went out of fashion sometime in 1897 there is only roughly a year to an 18 month period when this image could have been taken. Prior to these dates Charles Cantrell traded from 85 Argyle Street Bootle and a photographer by the name of Sydney Hockling traded from 111 Stanley Road Bootle in 1896 (Hockling had suceeded William Whitfield who had been trading from 111 between 1891 and 1896).

don

alimak
17-08-2009, 7:19 PM
the lady with baby is my g/mother kathleen farrell with my father born december 1897, the lady in uniform looks the same person , but younger , uniform photo was taken in n/york, but would like to know when, so i can look at elliss island, not sure if she is a nurse or maid would like to know,

wildcat
18-08-2009, 6:46 PM
I may be totaly off the track here but researching my wifes family tree i found a Catherine McKenna who married a John Farrell in 1873 in st peters church Liverpool, becoming Catherine Farrell she was living with her brother John McKenna and his wife, in 10 Every st Liverpool Bootle area, now the photo you have was taken in bootle ? her brother John was a tailor by trade and the family originated from wigan lancs,
and the funny thing about it all is my wifes family lived on the wirral, my wifes grandmother Margaret Jane McKenna married in st james Chruch New Brighton in 1906

alimak
19-08-2009, 7:10 AM
thanks for interest , but no connection, although myself and my father were born in birkenhead, his name changed from farrell to mckay his mother was not married,