PDA

View Full Version : George Begg - Bad Boy!!!

liesl
15-12-2009, 3:38 AM
Well, I think I might have found my first scandal! I have a copy of a death certificate for Eliz(s)abeth Morton Nee Begg. Died 30 Nov 1891.

Underneath her name is the word 'Illegitimate' and her parents are stated as George Begg (wood Merchant) and ___________ Ross no first name, just this line and no maiden surname.

The marriage between Elizabeth Begg and her husband Thomas Morton is a Banns with no parents names mentioned at all.

Can anyone help from here to find Elizabeth's Mothers name?

Thanks, Liesl

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

Dargie
15-12-2009, 7:56 AM
Do you have some details to help.
Place of death, place of marriage, date of marriage. Any additional information would be helpful.
Marj.

Geoffers
15-12-2009, 7:59 AM
To give those hunting a chance -

How old was she when she popped her clogs?

From census returns, where was she born?

liesl
16-12-2009, 12:19 AM
"popped her clogs" - that is classic!|jumphappy

Elizabeth Morton nee Begg died 30 Nov 1891 in Aberdeen, Scotland. She was 72 years old, which makes her birth about 1809.

She married Thomas Morton 25/8/1848 in Aboyne, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. He was a Miller/grain merchant.

Hope this helps. I haven't looked up any info on George Begg so I don't know if he eventually married Elizabeth's mother or not.

Thanks again for your help.

liesl
16-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Curiouser and Curiouser!

I have found a census record for 1841 stating George Begg 50 Years old as a wood merchant at Charlestown, Aboyne. So that fits.

Under his name is Jane Begg 35 (born about 1806)

Under her name is Betty Begg 20 (born about 1821)

Could Jane Begg be Betty's mother? I am pretty sure that Betty is a shortened version of Elizabeth. I have looked and I cannot find Jane as a sister to Betty.

Also I got Elizabeth's birth year wrong it is about 1819 not 1809.

It seems to fit but I am just guessing at this stage.

thanks guys

Dargie
16-12-2009, 1:42 AM
Ok ...Curious indeed.

I have found the family in 1851 transcribed as George BEGA aged 60. Jane is listed as the spouse aged 40.

There are quite a few servants or employees living with him.
Surprise...... one listed as servant, aged 31 is named Peter ROSS! That would make him about the same age as Betty I think. Born about 1820.

Are we onto anything here? Maybe future years will bring up a clue.

Have you checked out Scotlandspeople? Just a thought but is it possible Jane was a Ross before a Begg? That could make Betty and Peter her illigitimate children? No not if Jane's age is correct she would be too young. Back to the drawing board

Marj.

Dargie
16-12-2009, 1:56 AM
However as she states age as 35 in 1841 but only 40 in 1851 she could possibly be 45 in 1851 which could make her old enough to be the mother?

Just a thought. In 1861 George has died and she seems to be Lodging House keeper with a niece named Jane Davidson. Another path to follow!!:)

liesl
16-12-2009, 2:42 AM
Thanks Marj.

Yes it is very curious! Thanks for the info, I have checked Scotlands People that's where I got all my info from.

I will go and check to BEGA reference but it sounds about right. I cannot find a Jane Ross on Scotlands people born in the region of 1809ish. And I can't find a marriage at all for Jane and George.

I might try and find George Begg's death between 1851 and 1861

Ummm....

liesl
16-12-2009, 3:02 AM
OK, I have a George Begg who died on 6/10/1854 which fits into the timetable. It says he was a bachelor!! Buried in Aboyne. This could be him....it's the only George Begg to die between that period of 1851-61.

Dargie
16-12-2009, 4:13 AM
Well that is odd. In 1851 Jane is listed as a spouse. But then again it is really infuriating not to be able to view the original as she may actually not be his wife at all which is interesting. She changes her age a lot!
However if she is not his wife but actually a Begg I guess that would rule her out as the mother.
There seem to be other ROSS families in Aboyne.
Can you trace a link with the niece Jane DAVIDSON? May be helpful.
Marj.

liesl
16-12-2009, 5:52 AM
Marj.

I had a tentative try at searching for the niece but there were too many with the same name on scotlands people!

Thank your for your help and ideas today.

Liesl

Wilkes_ml
16-12-2009, 8:50 AM
From the IGI

George Begg married Jane McLaggan at Aboyne, Aberdeen, Scotland 01 DEC 1837

This could be the the Goerge and Jane you found in 1841. Death certificates are notoriously inaccurate, and ages of death especially. Also it is quite possible George was wrongly noted as a bachelor, though there may have been more than one George Begg in the area.

If George and Jane didn't marry until 1837, then it's possible Jane's children may have been registered under the name McLaggan.

Wilkes_ml
16-12-2009, 9:21 AM
Again from the IGI

George Begg was christened 04 SEP 1807 at Aboyne, Aberdeen, Scotland, son of George Begg and Jean Walker

I did wonder whether Elizabeth (Betty) Begg was his sister, but the only other children I found born to George and Jean Walker were

Margaret c. 24 AUG 1800 Aboyne, Aberdeen, Scotland daughter of George Begg and Jean Walker
William c. 18 JUN 1803 Aboyne, Aberdeen, Scotland son of George Beggs and Jane Walker

Note that the name Jean and Jane are often interchangeable in Scotland.

I couldn't find parent's marriage.

Also remember there was a high number of Catholics in Scotland, but Scotland's People Website has recently released the Catholic registers online, so may be worth searching them too.

Also from IGI:

Jean McLaggan c. 21 OCT 1804 at Aboyne, Aberdeen, Scotland, daughter of John McLaggan and Jean Smith

James McLaggen Birth: 05 JUL 1800 c.
05 JUL 1800 at Aboyne, Aberdeen, Scotland, son of John McLaggan and Jean Smith
William McLaggan c. 29 OCT 1802 at Aboyne, Aberdeen, Scotland, son of John McLaggan and Jean Smith
John McLaggan c. 14 FEB 1807 at Aboyne, Aberdeen, Scotland, son of John McLaggan and Jean Smith
Isabel McLaggan c. 27 JUL 1814 at Aboyne, Aberdeen, Scotland, daughter of John McLaggan and Jean Smith
Sarah McLaggen c. 14 DEC 1817 at Aboyne, Aberdeen, Scotland, daughter of John McLaggan and Jean Smith

Wilkes_ml
16-12-2009, 9:40 AM
And again from IGI (fortunately Aboyne is covered well!)

Jean Davidson c. 31 DEC 1841 at Aboyne, Aberdeen, Scotland daughter of John Davidson and Anna McLaggan.

However, this doesn't help with the Elizabeth (Betty) Begg b. about 1819.

Remember that death certificates are only as good as the information given to the registrar, so her mother's maiden name may not have been ROSS. Who was the informant on Elizabeth's death in 1891?

It is also possible that as George Begg didn't marry Jane McLaggen until 1837, when he was at least 30, he may have had a previous marriage, or relationship with a ROSS. If you can get a copy of the 1837 marriage, it may state if he was a widow - but I wouldn't be suprised if it didn't say anything about his marital status ( remember the more detailed civil registration entries didn't start till 1855 in Scotland).

Also try to find a death for Jane Begg after 1861 - it may have been registered by Elizabeth, and if it does, it may state relationship. However, it is more likely her niece Jane Davidson registered the death.

Wilkes_ml
16-12-2009, 10:24 AM
There is a death of Jane Begg in Scotland's People Index (other surname field McLaggan) Aberdeen, District: Aboyne in 1879. Would be worth looking at this one to see if it gives any helpful info.

Wilkes_ml
16-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Also George Begg left a will and inventory ( indexes free on Scotland's People but £5 each to view the documents)

Description: Wood Merchant at Aboyne
dated 02/05/1853 and Jean Maclaggan named in Index.
Inventory ref: SC1/36/32 15 pages
Will ref: SC1/37/32 21 pages

Definitely worth getting these - I think they are down-loadable just by clicking on image link.

They may name any children he has, or anyone else in his family - though you may be unfortunate to find he left everything to his wife!

liesl
16-12-2009, 8:58 PM
Wow! Guys! Thank you all so much, This will give me a few things to check out over my Christmas break!!!|jumphappy

I really appreciate everyone's help and I will let you know that outcome.

I cannot wait to see my Dad at Christmas and show him everything I have done.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

George Begg
06-02-2010, 4:53 PM
Greetings geno hunters !

The current George Begg here,
The previous generation George Begg now resides in Melbourne Australia...emigrated from Ireland where he settled after marrage to Irene Gibney at which time he left Scotland.

There are currently (I belive) 3 branches of Beggs stemming from the 1800's 2 in and around the west central belt of Scotland and one somewhere in the North East Area.

As far as Australia goes there has been a liniage across the contenant for the entire time European settlage has been there.

As far as I am aware the majority of us come from a family which was in service to the house of Drummond, Perthshire, the exact date of which I have never been able to determine, but I believe this dates back well beyond the time period being being discussed here.......perhaps you may be able to pick up a new thread of inquiry if you go back a little further and follow it thru.

Good luck

PS I meet a woman (very annoying) at my fathers funneral in 2003 who was trying to trace living liniage having already traced a great deal of the Begg history..unfortunately I have no contact details as I was not really in the mood to be interogated on that particular day...however I belive there is a Brian Begg in Rutherglen by Glasgow who may have this information if you can track him down.

susan-y
06-02-2010, 5:13 PM
Greetings geno hunters !

The current George Begg here,
The previous generation George Begg now resides in Melbourne Australia...emigrated from Ireland where he settled after marrage to Irene Gibney at which time he left Scotland.

PS I meet a woman (very annoying) at my fathers funneral in 2003 who was trying to trace living liniage having already traced a great deal of the Begg history..unfortunately I have no contact details as I was not really in the mood to be interogated on that particular day...however I belive there is a Brian Begg in Rutherglen by Glasgow who may have this information if you can track him down.

Welcome George|wave|

I'm sure the information you have included here will be most welcome.
I wish to comment on the uncouth person at your father's funeral. I'm sorry that happened and this person was not attuned to your feelings. You will find most people here have a little more tact...I hope!

Sue

liesl
07-02-2010, 6:01 AM
Thank you for the info George. I will make sure i follow it up. I appreciate your reply to this post. I am also sorry to hear about the lady at you Father's funeral - not very good.

Liesl