PDA

View Full Version : free dublin BMD records . co kerry too

obbie
10-12-2009, 6:17 PM
|jumphappycame across this site which is new to me and brilliantly easy and FREE to use . have fun . www.
irishgenealogy.ie

josie7644
10-12-2009, 8:09 PM
|jumphappycame across this site which is new to me and brilliantly easy and FREE to use . have fun . www.
irishgenealogy.ie

Hello obbie!

Thank you so much for sharing this site! Within minutes of searching, I found the Baptism of my g/grandmother's sister, in Dublin, in 1840. Her name was Mary Anne Gorman and her parents were Bernard and Elizabeth - EXACTLY the right names! Wow! I'm reeling! |jumphappy

I'm off now to search for more ancestors!

|hug|Thanks again! Josie

v.wells
10-12-2009, 8:28 PM
Too bad they don't state what years are covered but it is still FREE which is great. I have bookmarked it and will make good use of it, I hope. Thanks for the link!

susan-y
10-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Some folks are doing alot of good work... unfortunatly not in the parts of Ireland I am searching.........yet.

sue

SueNSW
11-12-2009, 8:46 AM
I think someone else posted about it a few days ago but thanks again

I have to go back and check what avenues I can possibly pursue - I have had an absolutely no clues, pre civil registration brickwall from Ireland for ever - and when this site was posted before I had a look on the off chance and have found a tiny glimmer of a possibility - so now I have to look seriously at Irish research - having dismissed it for so long in the "too hard basket"

Cheers
Sue

Buccaneer
11-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Thanks I just managed to get the baptism of my great great aunt

CanadianCousin
11-12-2009, 6:12 PM
|jumphappy WhooHoo!! |jumphappy
I didn't expect anything when I read this post, as my mother's family all came from Co. Cork. However, the parish they lived in - Castletownbere (a.k.a. Castletown Bearhaven) - was in the diocese of Kerry, and those records are included on this site. So far, I've found both of my maternal grandparents' baptisms, a marriage for one set of great-grandparents (as well as their baptisms), and the marriages for two sets of great-great-grandparents. I did have those particular events already (which is how I found them so quickly), but the records provided additional detail that I didn't have, and I'll definitely be searching for more relatives there. This is the most amazing information that I've found in years.

THANK YOU OBBIE!!!!

Tim

obbie
13-12-2009, 1:55 PM
just been lookin at site again .

on main page , box , central signposting index , you can search Armagh Cavan Derry Donegal Fermanagh Leitrim Limerick Mayo Sligo Tyrone Wexford for irish family history foundation records for birth baptism marriage griffiths val and tithe applot books and 1901 census . you can search for nothing but records do cost you . ive used the limerick one and got good results but family i was lookin for had unusual not so common name .

also dublin north suburbs is , google , swords historical society
dublin south suburbs , google , dun laoghaire heritage & genealogy
search both for nothing but fee to see

on dublinheritage.ie home page you can search birth and marriage free for some dublin parishes

im sure these sites are elready listed here on B-G forums but thought id mention them again as dublin genealogy is so hard to crack

Brendan Joseph
23-12-2009, 5:06 PM
Obbie,

The site lists Dublin City records, Dublin County have yet to be added.

Brendan

obbie
24-12-2009, 11:48 AM
hi brendan , sorry to say that it looks like that there will only be the city centre records as IFHF swords historical society (north side) and
dun laoghaire heritage and genealogy (south side) have them .
they wont overlap into each other as both are goverment backed . so what ever ones arent on North side or south side IFHF sites will be added to free dublin site .

Colin Rowledge
13-07-2010, 9:20 PM
As I'm struggling with my wife's mum's Irish roots I'll spend time looking at it

Colin

obbie
14-07-2010, 12:41 AM
site has been recently updated with lots more records especially cork

v.wells
14-07-2010, 2:34 AM
Thanks for letting us know obbie :)

SBSFamilyhistory
14-07-2010, 10:02 AM
irishgenealogy.ie

This site looks brilliant XXXXX

yafm11
22-01-2011, 5:38 AM
Using this site I managed to find siblings for my grandmother in Dublin (all christened in the same church and living at the same address) but need to go back further and I dont think they go back to GGmother's marriage date

Nicolina
22-01-2011, 9:39 AM
I entered my family name, just for fun and found some that we didn't know about, although the groom on of the marriages we did know about. Many thanks.
Elaine
who's not going to start chasing McCanns

maltonboy
31-01-2011, 3:08 PM
fantastic. many thanks. found a relative within seconds after searching on other websites for ages!!! :clap:

obbie
31-01-2011, 4:26 PM
this site is going to be expanded with a lot more records for dublin city centre parishes , arran quay area .
(dublin north and south suburbs on rootsireland pay per view but search for free site)
also the records for cork , what isnt covered already by rootsireland website , rootsireland have about a 3rd of cork , irish genealogy a 3rd also , the remaining 3rd coming soon .
kerry parishes are all on
carlow parishes are all on
there trying to get the remaining countys not covered by either site to either go on rootsireland or irish genealogy sites so that all 32 irish countys covered .
also rootsireand is making there site easier to search by cross ref births with fathers first name and mothers first name and her maiden name also .
great news for irish researchers !
im keenly awaiting the remaining dublin parishes to knock my wall !
obbie

obbie
29-06-2011, 4:38 PM
for those still awaiting news of further records
www.
facebook.com/notes/genealogical-society-of-ireland/genealogy-raised-in-d%C3%A1il-%C3%A9ireann-22062011/194709577246779
"Work is ongoing to add up to a further one million church baptism, marriage and burial records from Dublin city and County Cork, and this work should be substantially completed by end of next month"
GENEALOGY RAISED IN DÁIL ÉIREANN (22.06.2011) so end of july fingers and toes crossed !

josie7644
29-06-2011, 7:07 PM
That's brilliant news, Obbie! I can hardly wait!

Thanks for sharing!

Josie :)

obbie
03-10-2011, 6:55 PM
this site has been updated with several new city parishes yipee
as of 3-10-2011
enjoy
i am

DocDAve
04-10-2011, 4:09 PM
Here is some anguish to go with the joy. 9 months plus waiting for addition of the Cork county RC records - and only 15 new parishes
added. Thought it was going to complete the non-irishroots.ie parishes. Ugghhh!!

Only way to find Cork origin of my GGGF John Cronin is via nephew James Copps but no new Copps on additions. Ugghhh

obbie
05-10-2011, 10:46 AM
cork is split into 3 parts
cork north - mallow rootsireland site
cork south - west cork - diocese of cork and ross www.
corkandross.org/parishMap.jsp irishgenealogy site
cork city
" Cork City records are being computerized by the Cork Ancestral Project which does not currently undertake research or make its records available online "
ive seen this notice forquite a few years - no sign of as yet
if family from cork city youve a wait to come
obbie

thatsnotmyname
06-10-2011, 3:35 PM
Thanks for reminding me about this , I have found some new information on my hard to track gr Grandparents.

Would someone be able to check the register for Jennie Burke , Aug 1876 , Dublin. I have clicked the link to view the register. I think the name on the register is Terence , Not Jennie. I am rubbish at reading old writing though. It would be good news for me if it is Terence.

Thanks

josie7644
06-10-2011, 5:12 PM
Hello,

There are a few Ts and a few Js on the page. Having compared them I would say it is definitely a T.

So I would say the child was called Terence.

:) Josie

obbie
06-10-2011, 7:16 PM
Burke
Gender Male
Birth Date
16 Aug 1876
Birth Place Dublin
Father George Burke
Mother Anne Reilly

there are 5 male burke births reg
if you contact roscommon GRO with the above data they will search for the correct male birth and send you his birth
cost 6 euros , 2 to search 4 for photo copy .
this should give address fathers occupation and additional winesses .

DorothySandra
07-10-2011, 2:08 PM
This is great: tracing my Grandmother's family has been the most challenging - her mother Mary Stafford was born in Dublin, and her father John Cruickshank was born in Madras. Each month another bit of data becomes available, or another researcher finds a tidbit of information in a newspaper.

On this site I've found another sister for Mary, and the marriage of her parents. Strangely, I can't find any burials for my Staffords, but I'm hoping that eventually the burials will be there too.

thatsnotmyname
07-10-2011, 4:04 PM
Thanks Josie and obbie. It's looking promising that its my great grandfather ( at last ) so will send off for the birth certificate.

yafm11
08-10-2011, 12:40 AM
Not knowing the geography of the Dublin area I wonder if the area of Lower Exchange Street Dublin 8 is available yet
With the family name Smyth I have only found (through this site) in the RC parish of SS Michael and John my grandmother and siblings and her mother and father -confirming the names I already had) but I cannot find a marriage or death for her parents Edward Smyth b 1833 and Margaret Cox probably b 1836

obbie
08-10-2011, 12:30 PM
depending on the church and what date lots of the records are in latin .
ive found typing in surname (sometimes put in latin rarely though)
so type smyth and ed* or edw* or edwa*
ive found they seem to add letters to end of first name to latinise them .
sure online you could find what latin for edward is .

when looking for marriage try ed* smy* and mar* co* in other name box

you can search by parish , hit search button on first page , on new page by search button theres browse the data base by location ,
you now get list of countys to search hit which county , youve now list of parishes .

deaths
birth marriages deaths cost money to reg so many arnt recorded on the BMD index
this is why baptism and marriage records from the parish are so important
catholic churchs dont keep records of deaths , many familys couldnt afford gravestones .
glasnevin is the biggest cemetry in dublin , google earth it its huge . glasnevin do keep there records and you can search its fee paying , if you search by surname and put in the first name and search , at bottom of search youve - year of death +/- years 2006
change year fom 1 to 3 then change date to your best guess of death .
ive actually searched my surname and a then b then c then d to z as first name and have full list of every burial in cemetry

if family wealthy search http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

An index of Ireland civil registration including births, 1864-1958, marriages, 1845-1958, and deaths, 1864-1958.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://hr-search-api:8080/searchapi/search/collection/1408347
just remember cost money to reg if poor less likely to have recorded a birth marriage death
if you find record send off to roscommon for cert cost 4 euros if you have cert details

https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://hr-search-api:8080/searchapi/search/collection/1584963
great for baptisms

both above familysearch records are on ancestry
the marriage ones above you cant get list of possible spouses on ancestry you can

yafm11
09-10-2011, 1:09 AM
Thank you so much This gives me a lot of work to do so a bit more enthusiasm now. I dont actually know where either Ed Smyth or Marg Cox were born so do not know where they may have got married so my search will be extensive.

yafm11
15-03-2012, 3:53 AM
With grateful thanks I used this site some months ago I have just tried again and want to get into the baptism records for the RC SS Michael and John Church Lower Exchange Street Dublin But I cant get into these records at all on any of the irish sites I have tried What have I forgotten and am now not doing correctly

obbie
15-03-2012, 6:04 PM
hi
1 click into http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/index.html
2 click the big search button
3 on new page where you normaly put in name , under the search button is "browse the database by location" click into
4 click dublin rc
5 click ss michael and john

some tips
if your not finding what you want lots of records were in latin so translate names to latin eg william is Gulielmus
try wild cards if name is william walker for eg wil* wal* will-should find any spellings of that name
if baptism add mothers first name only in the additional name search as many records have no wifes surnames (some marriages as well)
this is a great site sit down and play with it remember most people couldnt read nor write so it was up to the parish priest to fill out the forms he spelt it how he seen fit when that priest died or moved the new priest spelt the names what ever way he seen fit
so names were spelt different and some names were in latin

enjoy and good luck

yafm11
30-03-2012, 1:59 AM
I have been going into this Smyth family more and have now found an anomoly. The grave of my grandmother and her second husband also has their first son who died at 7 years old and her mother in it There is also another Smyth buried there a John Louis who was shown in a census as Margaret's son living with her BUT I found a baptism for a john louis in SS Michael and John church Dublin - not that common a mix - whose parents were shown as joseph smyth and mary eliza mcguire so now I am back to square one