PDA

View Full Version : Another scam?

busyglen
08-12-2009, 1:44 PM
Last Sunday, we received a phone call which my husband anwered, but soon put the receiver down. He said it was an automated voice so didn't listen.

About lunch time, the phone rang again and I answered it and an automated voice said it was the Fraud Squad, and would I please use the telephone keypad to answer the questions. It sounded dodgy so I put the phone down. My husband then did 1471 and the number was an 0845 number. We discussed it and then because we wondered if there was a problem with our credit card (having had a problem a year or so ago) so he decided to ring the card help-line. After going through the usual checks, and listening to what had happened, the man said that a block had been put on our cards because of two small items ordered via the internet. We confirmed various items that we had purchased and then the last two were not ordered by us.

My husband queried whether the Fraud Squad would contact us by phone
on an automated system, and gave them the telephone number. It was not a Fraud Squad number! So beware if this happens to you.

As it happens, it did us a favour as we found out that our card had been cloned or whatever earlier rather than later when we tried to use it. It's a pain having to wait for a new one, but we are just grateful that someone, somewhere, thought those two small items ordered two days running, were suspect.

We are still left wondering if that dodgy call was for real or not, but it was mentioned that it could be to get you to ring a high premium number, or give out information on the keypad.

Beware.

Glenys

pattenwalsh
08-12-2009, 2:00 PM
just another version of your bank calling you and asking if you could confirm your card number and number on the reverse of the card,after saying they believe it has been used fraudulently(is that the right word?)
Banks,Fraud Squad or anybody else do not phone up asking for this info.
These are all old tricks that do the rounds all the time.Subscribe to scambusters.org and you'll learn all you need to know about the tricks used to part you from your money!

MarkJ
08-12-2009, 2:48 PM
You do need to be careful because banks DO ring from their fraud departments if there are strange purchases on your card.

I was rung by my bank fraud department a while back after attempting to purchase something online - for some reason I can't recall now, I decided not to complete the purchase and shut the browser. This must have been flagged up with the bank and they rang me up the next day. Being highly suspicious in nature, I refused to answer their questions - explaining that they could be anyone and that I would take a name and then ring up the bank main phone number and ask to be put through to the fraud department, where I would ask for the person.
It was genuine - he really was a fraud chap at the bank.

So if in doubt - as Glenys did - ring them on their main number and check.
If they ask for numbers off the card, think scam! If there has been any sort of fraud, they will already have the card numbers - and never give out any passwords!

Mark

busyglen
08-12-2009, 6:21 PM
You do need to be careful because banks DO ring from their fraud departments if there are strange purchases on your card.

I was rung by my bank fraud department a while back after attempting to purchase something online - for some reason I can't recall now, I decided not to complete the purchase and shut the browser. This must have been flagged up with the bank and they rang me up the next day. Being highly suspicious in nature, I refused to answer their questions - explaining that they could be anyone and that I would take a name and then ring up the bank main phone number and ask to be put through to the fraud department, where I would ask for the person.
It was genuine - he really was a fraud chap at the bank.

So if in doubt - as Glenys did - ring them on their main number and check.
If they ask for numbers off the card, think scam! If there has been any sort of fraud, they will already have the card numbers - and never give out any passwords!

Mark
Thanks Mark. I understand that the Fraud Squad could ring if there was a problem, and they would normally give information that would allow you to check, but this was an automated voice, not a `live' person on the phone. The fact that they wanted us to key in info, whilst speaking to an automoton, rang alarm bells. This is why my husband rang the credit card number to check first. Having been caught once, we are `very' careful what we do now, and `never' give passwords out to anyone. :)

Glenys

busyglen
08-12-2009, 6:25 PM
just another version of your bank calling you and asking if you could confirm your card number and number on the reverse of the card,after saying they believe it has been used fraudulently(is that the right word?)
Banks,Fraud Squad or anybody else do not phone up asking for this info.
These are all old tricks that do the rounds all the time.Subscribe to scambusters.org and you'll learn all you need to know about the tricks used to part you from your money!

Thanks for your post. As you have so rightly said, we know that this sort of things goes on, and are ever vigilant which is why we didn't believe it really was the Fraud Squad. What was really weird, is that there `was' a problem with our card, which had been `got at'.

I mainly wanted to alert others to this, just in case it happened to them.

Glenys

Marie C..
08-12-2009, 6:44 PM
Something like this happened to me not so long ago Glenys,
I received a letter from the Fraud Squad telling me thst something odd was going on with my account and would I ring them .
Being of a suspicious mind I rang my own bank to ask them did they have a fraud squad and could they tell me the address and phone no. As it was the same as the one on the letter I did phone the fraud squad as requested only to be asked had I been in Australia recently.
Chance would be a fine thing! I told him. I wish!.
It seemed someone had tried to withdraw money in Australia from my account and since there were also one or two transactions that were not my usual ones they were concerned.
It seemed my card had been cloned when I used a local ATM.
My card was stopped and they issued me with a new one but had the bank not been so vigilant I would have lost my money as it was a debit account.

It seems these days that you need to use the ATM's very carefully and cover your hand as you pin in your number.
The bank covers any losses one might incur through this kind of fraud but it leaves one with a sense of fear.
So check statements carefully and if anything seems amiss inform the bank straight away.
M

Nannas
21-02-2010, 2:30 AM
Hiyas,
I must admit some of the banks are getting pretty good with all this.

A couple of years ago I had subscibed to a 'well known' online newpaper site..After a few months I had finished and cancelled my subscription..No worries!!
About 6 months later I had tried to use my card online,,,,was refused,,,then I got a call from the bank. I told them I would ring them back,,,which I did,,,,to find out this "well known" newspaper archive had began billing me again (3 months after my cancellation) and at odd amounts (not the subscription amount).
The bank noticed the odd amounts and wanted to check with me.

I went through my account and double checked everything to find a few 'unusual' missing amounts which were ALL from cancelled subscription sites!! Some amounts as little as $5 and others as big as $75!!!!

Nannas

busyglen
22-02-2010, 3:22 PM
I agree Nannas that it's great that a lot of the banks are checking every entry these days. If they weren't so vigilant we could be losing a fortune.

Glenys

Dorset Girl
23-02-2010, 1:02 PM
After reading this thread funnily enough I received a phone call supposedly from my Bank - I told them I was too busy and to ring back. Two days later they rang again - we were about to attend a funeral so I told them to ring back. By this stage I was very suspicious - we haven't heard from them for months. Third call and they advised that this person was now my "Personal Advisor" and he would send me an email with all of his details so that I could contact him at any time. (I figured an email address would be quite safe at this stage!!!). Sure enough - email arrived, with all his contacts - so I rang our Branch and asked them to check that this person actually worked for them and could be contacted at the email address and phone number supplied. Well better safe than sorry - he did!!!!!!!! Heaven knows why I need a "Personal Advisor" but at least it wasn't a scam!!!

Peter Goodey
23-02-2010, 1:39 PM
If you google "who called me" (including the quotation marks), you'll find a web site which is a database and discussion about suspected dodgy callers. It may help to identify who was calling.