PDA

View Full Version : Plymouth Devon Jews - jewish roots

tuchas
08-12-2009, 1:13 PM
John Isaacs born 1803 - Poland married Ann/Hannah (Davis???) born abt 1818 London, Kent, I think that they married London 1839, would I be correct?
Their children were Isaac b. 1842, Evelina Lydia b. 1847, Ester b. 1848, Elizabeth b. 1853 and Rachel b. 1855.
Ann/Hannah's father was Mordecai, am I right in saying that he married Esther Bendahn 11/11/1813 at the Great Synagogue? Her father was Benjamin Benndahan.
Would anyone be able to find if I was on the correct trail? My late grandmother used to speak of Spanish/Sephardi roots.
And what happened to Isaac, Evelina, Elizabeth and Rachel?
I hope someone can help me. Thanks

Kerrywood
08-12-2009, 5:26 PM
Hi Tuchas (great user-name ;)), and welcome to the forums |wave|

In order for members to advise whether you are on the right trail, it would be helpful to know where your information comes from, and in particular what birth, marriage and death certificates you already have?

First, do you have a birth certificate for whichever of John and Ann/Hannah's children is your direct line, confirming that the mother's maiden name is DAVIS? If not, that should be your first step, because hopefully it will lead you to the right marriage. With the large number of ISAACS families around, especially in London, you can't be too careful, and it's important to prove one step at a time. ;)

Unfortunately, no-one can look up the civil registration details for you. You have to purchase certificates, which you can do online from the General Register Office (http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/#0) for £7.00 each, including postage, using the index references as found in FreeBMD. Do ask if you need help doing this.

I see your ISAACS family in Plymouth in 1861 (RG9; Piece: 1444; Folio: 23; Page: 41) and 1851 (HO107; Piece: 1879; Folio: 810; Page: 12 - references to records held by TNA, crown copyright).

As a general point on researching Plymouth, are you aware of the Susser Archive (http://www.jewishgen.org/JCR-uk/susser/), dealing with Jewish communities in the south-west of England? Some of the material is now online, and you might want to have a browse there for any items of interest :)

Kerrywood

tuchas
08-12-2009, 6:24 PM
I wondered if anyone would like my user name. Actually I have not yet obtained the birth certificate for my g.g.grandmother Ester Isaacs, who married John Selig Nelson, mentioned in the Susser Archives as originally Katzenellenbogen. I think that I have read every part of it. so thank you anyway.

phillip
08-12-2009, 7:15 PM
See Synagaogue Scribes site:
GSM343/54
31 July 1839
John Isaacs Hebrew name Menachem Nachum
Father Isaac

Spouse Hannah Davis
Hebrew name Channah
Father - Mordecai

I have not looked on Cemetery Scribes site or the JGSGB 1851 site. If anyone has a copy of Doreen Berger's The Jewish Victorian 1871-80 and could look the names up you might find a reference.

Phillip