PDA

View Full Version : Scam or what ?

BeeE586
08-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Something strange that I have never come acros before. Just opened my mail box and five messages have been returned to me by MAILER DAEMON. I do occasionally get a message returned IF I HAVE SENT IT, and if for some reason I have mis-spelled the direction, but these are for messages that I have not sent and to addresses that I do not recognize. They were all supposedly sent 4 to 5 hours ago when I was still fast asleep in bed, and no, I do not sleepwalk !!!!

How can this happen ? Is it possible that a message can be sent by someone else using my e-mail address and what can I do to prevent it ?

All my Spyware, Adware, Anti virus etc. is in place, I update every evening and scan every two days automatically but I am worried that an unknown person could perhaps send a virus or some objectionable material and the recipient would think it was from me.

Eileen

MarkJ
08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Someone has sent out spam from somewhere but plonked your email address as the return address Eileen.
Because the spam is sent out randomly, many of the addresses it is sent to do not exist, or they have some anti spam measures which pick up the emails as spam and "bounce" them back to the address given - which in this case happens to be yours.

This is a fault with the mail servers used by the receiving addresses - and many mail servers do the same thing. As you probably know, the best way to deal with spam is to simply delete it - which is what these mail servers *should* do! Sending it back to the "sender" - when that address is generally spoofed - is pointless and creates twice as much traffic, as well as causing concern to the recipient.

That is the usual reason for these mailer daemon messages. The other way these appear is that occasionally, spammers will actually fake a mailer daemon message in the hope that you will reply to it to say that you didn't send the message in the first place - which of course means that the spammers are then aware that your address is "live".

Like all spam/junk, I would just hit the delete button :) Your machine is not sending out the original mail - you were just randomly selected for the spoofed "return" address.

Nearly all spam has fake addresses these days - which is one of the reasons that complaining to the "sender" is pointless. It is possible to actually get the sending details - at least their ISP and IP address - but since most spam is sent from either compromised "bots" or ISPs who actively encourage spammers, it is hardly worth the effort.

Delete :)

Mark

josie7644
08-12-2009, 1:19 PM
Hi, This has happened to me a couple times, but on each occasion, there were about 250 Mailer Daemon messages! It was time-consuming, but I just deleted the whole lot!

Josie

BeeE586
08-12-2009, 5:28 PM
Mark - thank you for your explanation and I did just what you suggested; having opened one and realized it was something phony I deleted the lot.

Josie - thank you, it's good to know that these strange things happen to others although not much fun for you.

Eileen

sue2white
08-12-2009, 6:24 PM
I had an email returned to me last week when I had replied to a message by pressing the reply button. So, as you would expect, I rewrote it and sent it again, only to find that the first 'reply' had actually arrived.

How bizarre is that!!

Sue :confused: