PDA

View Full Version : Census Maps

mervyn.britton
12-10-2004, 1:53 PM
I have just received some back issues of Ancestors magazines from the UK, and in Issue 5 there was an interesting article on Maps and the Census.

I wondered if these maps were available for ACDBooks to reproduce at their high level of scan as an addition to the various census they produce?

Of course, here in the Antipodes I may have missed the fact that this is already an occurrence :) but if not they would be a fantastic tool for delineating the area of interest in each census.

Cheers Mervyn Britton

Rod Neep
12-10-2004, 2:25 PM
I don't know of any maps specifically of registration districts, only for counties, and of course, the boundaries don't match. I agree that it would be a good idea to make them accessible though.

Regards
Rod

Guy Etchells
12-10-2004, 3:07 PM
The census registration maps are under reference RG 18
http://tinyurl.com/59agq

They are simply First Series one inch to the mile ordnance survey maps with the enumeration district drawn onto them then cut out & mounted.

I would suggest the six inch to the mile maps would be more suitable for family historians as the actual enumerators routes could be traced on these as they are large enough to show individual streets.
These (for the whole of the UK) are available online on the Old-Maps site
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/
Though the last time I used it the maps would not display, I don't know if it a temporary problem or whether the O.S. have pulled the plug.
Cheers
Guy

tfossey
12-10-2004, 5:59 PM
I recently purchased some old OS street maps from a web site:

http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/

I thought that they were priced very reasonably at £2.10 per sheet and then just just 60p postage per order. I bought several for parts of central London dated between 1867 and 1872, but other dates were also available.

The scale is 1:4340 or about 15" to the mile. But I think that there were other scales available too.

The maps also have an interesting street index on the back that list the major streets and also who lived at many of the addresses - mainly those with businesses, a sort of commercial / professional directory.

Frank W
12-10-2004, 8:19 PM
If you accumulate many of the London OS maps by Godfrey, you might like to visit the West Surrey FHS site, as their publications list includes 3 indexes to the Godfrey series. RA 46 covers London SW and London SE (ie all south of the river Thames. For London north of the Thames, RA 45 covers NW London, and RA 44 covers NE London. More detail on the map sheet numbers and a lot of supporting info is contained in a smaller booklet RA 43. The indexes are not merely street names, but include sections for Schools, Churches, Public Houses, Workhouses, Statues etc, etc.
Regards Frank W

mervyn.britton
13-10-2004, 2:42 PM
Guy's URL provides the full detail of which I was not aware. It may be quite useful to see the 'drawn' boundaries on a map such as this?? I thought it was very interesting.
<Quote>
The series consists of five accumulations of printed maps with manuscript additions showing registrar's districts and sub-districts, at the time of various population census during the period 1861 to 1921.
Maps forming this series can be used to identify the enumerators' district in the case of hamlets and small centres of population, which do not appear in the printed indexes to the census.
The series includes;
Maps dated 1870 and prepared with a view to the 1871 Census, England and Wales, (RG 18/1-110). London and the environs were not covered in these. These are the standard Ordnance Survey first edition ("Old Series"), on the scale of 1 inch to 1 mile, produced in the Tower of London. Some sheets are wanting, ie were not transferred to the PRO.
Maps dated 1848-50 used for the 1861 Census, London, enumerators' districts 1-36, (RG 18/111-155). These are Ordnance Survey, London and Its Environs maps at 12 inches to the mile, prepared at the Ordnance Survey Office, Southampton. Some sheets are wanting.
Maps used for the 1891 Census, London, RG 18/194-197
Maps used for the 1891 Census, London, enumerators'message=Guy's URL provides the full detail of which I was not aware. It may be quite useful to see the 'drawn' boundaries on a map such as this?? I thought it was very interesting.
<Quote>
The series consists of five accumulations of printed maps with manuscript additions showing registrar's districts and sub-districts, at the time of various population census during the period 1861 to 1921.
Maps forming this series can be used to identify the enumerators' district in the case of hamlets and small centres of population, which do not appear in the printed indexes to the census.
The series includes;
Maps dated 1870 and prepared with a view to the 1871 Census, England and Wales, (RG 18/1-110). London and the environs were not covered in these. These are the standard Ordnance Survey first edition ("Old Series"), on the scale of 1 inch to 1 mile, produced in the Tower of London. Some sheets are wanting, ie were not transferred to the PRO.
Maps dated 1848-50 used for the 1861 Census, London, enumerators' districts 1-36, (RG 18/111-155). These are Ordnance Survey, London and Its Environs maps at 12 inches to the mile, prepared at the Ordnance Survey Office, Southampton. Some sheets are wanting.
Maps used for the 1891 Census, London, RG 18/194-197
Maps used for the 1891 Census, London, enumerators' districts 1-29, (RG 18/198-227). These are 'Stanford's Library Map of London and its Suburbs', at 6 inches to 1 mile (1:10,560), on 24 sheets, supplemented by sheets of [OS 6 inch maps].The maps have been cut and mounted to show only one enumerator's district in each piece.
Maps used for the 1921 Census, London, enumerators' districts 1 to 30 (RG 18/830-861). These are 6 inch Ordnance Survey maps. The maps have been cut and mounted to show only one enumerator's district in each case. Manuscript additions show boundaries and ward distribution within Metropolitan Boroughs up to 1924. Some sheets are wanting.
Maps used for the 1921 Census, England and Wales, enumerators' districts 31 to 634, (RG 18/862-1465). These are 1 inch Ordnance Survey sheets. Manuscript additions give information about the creation of Civil Parishes, Urban Districts and other local government areas, together with tabulated summaries of population by CP, ward, etc. 1921. Some sheets are wanting
Record Maps, City of London Civil Boundaries, enumerators' districts 15/1 and 15/2, [c. 1911], (RG 18/1466,1467). They are endorsed:"28. To be kept as Record Map for the ancient Civil boundaries, now abolished. A.G.S. 10.7.42". They are 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps and show the boundaries of; [enumerators'] sub-districts% districts 1-29, (RG 18/198-227). These are 'Stanford's Library Map of London and its Suburbs', at 6 inches to 1 mile (1:10,560), on 24 sheets, supplemented by sheets of [OS 6 inch maps].The maps have been cut and mounted to show only one enumerator's district in each piece.
Maps used for the 1921 Census, London, enumerators' districts 1 to 30 (RG 18/830-861). These are 6 inch Ordnance Survey maps. The maps have been cut and mounted to show only one enumerator's district in each case. Manuscript additions show boundaries and ward distribution within Metropolitan Boroughs up to 1924. Some sheets are wanting.
Maps used for the 1921 Census, England and Wales, enumerators' districts 31 to 634, (RG 18/862-1465). These are 1 inch Ordnance Survey sheets. Manuscript additions give information about the creation of Civil Parishes, Urban Districts and other local government areas, together with tabulated summaries of population by CP, ward, etc. 1921. Some sheets are wanting
Record Maps, City of London Civil Boundaries, enumerators' districts 15/1 and 15/2, [c. 1911], (RG 18/1466,1467). They are endorsed:"28. To be kept as Record Map for the ancient Civil boundaries, now abolished. A.G.S. 10.7.42". They are 25 inch Ordnance Survey maps and show the boundaries of; [enumerators'] sub-districts, civil parishes, municipal boroughs, wards, Union and Parliamentary boroughs, the City and County of the City of London, the divisions of the Parliamentary county and ecclesiastical parishes. Each map is composed of parts of more than one sheet. It should be noted that these maps do not show registrars or enumerators' districts

David Sherriff
16-10-2004, 1:19 PM
I am also finding that the maps are not displaying on the Old Maps site. Does anyone know if the problem is at the Old Maps end, or is this another problem relating to Norton antivirus software? It was such a usefull site, enabling me to see the actual houses that my ancestors lived in.

Guy Etchells
16-10-2004, 1:57 PM
There is a "Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible" message there today.
Cheers
Guy