PDA

View Full Version : Herr Capitent

Sandra Parker
06-12-2009, 8:39 AM
I have been searching for my elusive GGrandfather Gustave Vandervelden (Vondervelden, Van den Delden) in the census data. He appears 1881-1911 with his family. But I know he married in London in 1868, so he had to be somewhere in 1871. His surname was spelt variously, but his first name has always been shown as Gustave, on one certificate it is George, He was a sugar baker around this time.
But this entry????
I have finally found him as Capitent Fonderfelten, born in Middlesex (as were the others on the original page above him), not true as he was born in Nassau. His wife Elisabeth was shown as born in Germany, true, and their 2 children shown as also born in Germany, not true, both born in St George in the East, as I have their birth certificates. RG 10 Piece 630 Folio 51 pge 40.
Anyway, I'm pleased to have found him, whoever they thought he was!
Sandra

Waitabit
06-12-2009, 8:46 AM
Well done Sandra, it's nice to get them all tucked away, hey? :)

spison
06-12-2009, 8:44 PM
I'm glad you've found him. It gives such a good feeling. How did you think the original should have been trancribed?

Jane

Sandra Parker
07-12-2009, 12:58 AM
It should have been the same as all the other census, but there was nothing wrong with the transcription, it was the original enumerator chap who had the problem.
Still having the wrong surname, wrong christian name for the head of house, and three out of four places of birth incorrect, even allowing for German accent, which they presumably both had - the children were too young to talk - makes it impossible for anyone transcribing to get it right.
Ah well, these things are sent to try us, increase our detective skills, deepen our resolve and frustrate the h*** out of us!
Sandra