PDA

View Full Version : Girls recruited for service.

Cymraes
09-04-2005, 6:59 PM
My great grandmother Margaret Grant Toolan and her siter Janet are shown with their family in Scotland in 1871 but by the time the 1881 census came round they were missing from the 1881 census, when the family lived in Pendlebury. When my gt gran married in the 1890s she was in service in London. I have been told that many Lancashire girls were recruited for service. Can anyone tell me if there is a list of these girls if this is true please?

John
10-04-2005, 4:14 PM
I have been told that many Lancashire girls were recruited for service. Can anyone tell me if there is a list of these girls if this is true please?
Hi, I've never heard of such a list and as domestic service was one of the highest employments for women, I doubt such a thing exists.
Oh and before somebody says "what about the mills?" More women in Lancashire were employed in domestic service than in mill work.

John

uksearch
11-04-2005, 12:25 PM

Hi, I've never heard of such a list and as domestic service was one of the highest employments for women, I doubt such a thing exists.
Oh and before somebody says "what about the mills?" More women in Lancashire were employed in domestic service than in mill work.

John

I too, have never heard of such a list.

If "domestic service" includes housewives then I would have to agree with you but if you mean house servant versus female mill workers...then I challenge you to a Census count!!!

Anyway which Census are we talking about?

UK

uksearch
12-04-2005, 12:09 PM
I am only jesting,but was I wondering why John was so certain of his facts.The figures must be published somewhere.

UK

John
12-04-2005, 6:21 PM
I am only jesting,but was I wondering why John was so certain of his facts.The figures must be published somewhere.

UK
Well, it was one of those serendipitous things, I'd just finished reading a book about employment in Manchester, they did quote figures but I cant remember them. If I've still got the book I'll post details.

john