PDA

View Full Version : Saline Cemetery, Fife

jm52
30-11-2009, 8:23 PM
Hi everybody

Can anybody help? I am trying to find out if 2 relatives are butied in the old Parish Cemetery Saline Fife.

Their names are Jane McLean nee King and Archibald McLean

They lived in Saline in 1917. Is there anywhere that I can check whether they are buried there

Many thanks
JM

Andrew Mead
01-12-2009, 5:55 AM
Sounds like a question for a Scottish forum - probably Fife (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=254) - this one was intended for general quieries on parish registers. Can a moderator move it?

jm52
01-12-2009, 4:13 PM
yes please. just joined still trying to find my way around

Mudie68
12-01-2010, 2:00 PM
Hi JM, I live not far from Saline in Fife and I have looked for Mcleans and King without success but have found Mcleans and King in Kelty old graveyard. These two towns are very close to one another and it is possible they may be interred in Kelty. Unless you have definate proof they are in Saline graveyard. The old graveyard is in Bridge Street and has an old watch tower.
All my information is thru' Scotlands People site and it's been my hobby with old graveyards which I have photographed and recorded for years.
Hope the above may help.

Kind regards, Ron.

stevenpenny
12-01-2010, 2:42 PM
yes please. just joined still trying to find my way around

Hi JM,

Notwithstanding what Ron has already said on the subject, I live around 1 mile from the cemetery in Saline. If you are convinced they are buried there I am quite happy to have a look.

Steve

Mudie68
14-01-2010, 9:47 AM
Hi JM, I have come up with names you wanted in the 1901 census; they had 3 sons and two daughters. They lived in Carnock then, same area as Saline. The problem is they may not be the same two your looking for without you finding more information on them, such as where born, middle names, ages on death,as what you have is very skimpy to be certain. I do have further info: but it would be unfair to build up your hopes.
The bottom line is if you have more on them I can look again otherwise couldn't be sure. Steve offered to look thru' the grave yards, that would help greatly.

Hope this helps, Ron.

stevenpenny
15-01-2010, 7:36 AM
Hi Ron,

That's very interesting. I was planning to go to Saline this afternoon (weather permitting), but as I live in Carnock, I might just start there instead.

Steve

stevenpenny
15-01-2010, 3:03 PM
Hi JM,

I'll answer your question publically as it started that way. The information might be of interest to others but it has raised a few questions of my own.

Firstly on the subject of Jane King and Archibald MacLean:

There are no Kings in Saline Cemetary but there is a M McLean (nee Richards) who died in 1999. Given the complete absence of other Mcleans she could be a later relation.

The cemetary itself comprises two plots of approximately 100 graves each. Most graves are intact but one or two are faded beyond recognition. The oldest grave I could find was dated 1803.

Following Ron's post I also checked the Cemetary in Carnock. This dates from around 1624 and is a complete ruin with around 25% of headstones lying on the floor (the wrong way unfortunately).

The closest match in Carnock was simply inscribed 'AM (Heart) JM' but dates from 1816 so is obviously not who we are looking for.

There are other cemetary's in the area but the two checked are the closest. Do you know where they were both born, they could have gone home to be buried.

Three questions that arose are:

1. One cluster of graves are inscribed with initials, a skull, cross-bones, and an hourglass only. They seem to date from the late 1600's. Although these symbols are obviously related to death it seems to have been limited to just a few graves. Anyone have any ideas?

2. A number of the larger graves with ornate obelisk type headstones are marked on the lower portion with 'Two Rooms' and 'Three Rooms'. This I assume indicates the number of layers in the grave that are occupied?

3. One headstone has an interesting engaving on it. It is similar to the Masonic Square and Compasses but this one has a set-square pointing up (Like the letter A without the cross-bar) laid over a pitchfork. I though at first this may have been the Ancient Order of Gardeners but they use a trowel and not a pitchfork. Any ideas on this one?

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

jm52
16-01-2010, 9:41 AM
Many thanks to Ron and Steven for their help with my search

All the best

June McLean

jm52
16-01-2010, 11:46 AM
I have a little more info

Found out this morning that Archibald IS Buried in Saline (Old part) cemetery after all. Lair 45, I visited once last year and it was locked, hope I can get in when I visit next.

June

stevenpenny
16-01-2010, 7:57 PM
I have a little more info

Found out this morning that Archibald IS Buried in Saline (Old part) cemetery after all. Lair 45, I visited once last year and it was locked, hope I can get in when I visit next.

June

Hi June,

Does your source suggest where lair 45 is. The older graves are clustered around the outside with the newer ones in the middle. The number suggests it is one of the outer plots which may indicate it is one of the unreadable ones.

I wonder if he might be in a lower layer of the plot containing M McLean who died in 1999?

The gate isn't locked at the moment so i'll try again for you next week

Steve

jm52
17-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Hi Steven

I have no idea who M McLean is it's a mystery, I suspect Archibald is buried in the olser part, you say the gate is open, I forget what day it was that I went last year, think it was a Sunday and it was locked. There was a house that looked like a small church opposite and it you walk down the lane at the side there was a stream. I wonder if it has changed much, I suspect not.

June

stevenpenny
17-01-2010, 2:48 PM
Hi Steven

I have no idea who M McLean is it's a mystery, I suspect Archibald is buried in the olser part, you say the gate is open, I forget what day it was that I went last year, think it was a Sunday and it was locked. There was a house that looked like a small church opposite and it you walk down the lane at the side there was a stream. I wonder if it has changed much, I suspect not.

June

Hi June,

I suspect we are talking about different cemetery's. The Cemetery in Saline that I visited is in 'Drumhead', which is just off North Road.

Enter KY11 9LL into a popular internet maps website and you will see the cemetery. The older part of the cemetery is the square area with a small building in the top right corner. The cemetery itself is on a hill and i'm not aware of any stream near it. Could you please confirm we are talking about the same cemetery.

Thanks

stevenpenny
18-01-2010, 3:42 PM
Hi June,

Are you perhaps referring to the old cemetary in Bridge Street Saline, as opposed to the one off North Road?

I didn't even know it was there until I checked with Council. Apparently it is no longer in use but I can gain access if this is the one. They were not very helpful with the date it was taken out of use but this might explain your reference to an old church.

Steve

jm52
19-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi Steve

Yes, that's the one I was at last year, I went to look at no 5 Bridge Street where Archie and Jane lived, I saw the old cemetery and the gate was locked, naturally I thought that it would be the burial place. I crossed the road and walked beside a house that looked like it was a small church years ago, a little dog was barking. Down the side of the house are other little houses and a stream it is very nice, I felt a little shy walking down and as if I was being watched but it is a public path.

I think Archie must be in the North Road cemetery as you say, I put in the post code and it came up Dalgety Bay, is that right?

I will visit as soon as the weather warms up a little and maybe I can get information where lair 45 is from the cemeteries dept. A bit of a mystery with Jane, Stirling Council have no record of her being buried there. They said maybe she was buried in Fife as she lived there before but her address at time of death was Ardgowan Place, Cowie, so have to do some work there.

Thanks for your interest

Best wishes

June

stevenpenny
19-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Hi June,

Sorry, postcode should have read KY12 9LL; you should be able to see all three cemetaries, two off of North Road and one at the junction of Bridge St and Kinness Place. I'm going to try to have a look into the Bridge Street cemetery if I get the chance. It was the North Road ones that I look at last week and couldn't find any McLeans there.

The problem stems from a lot of graves having what appear to be sandstone headstones; and as the area is fairly exposed a lot of the writing is now obscure.

Leave this with me for now and i'll PM you when i've had a chance for a good look at Bridge Street (Probably wont be until next week).

Steve