PDA

View Full Version : running water

plumbercarl
29-11-2009, 4:53 PM
excuse my ignorance,, but when did Manchester or salford get running water supplied from the street,, when did thay dig up all the roads to lay these pipes ,, and were was running water first supplied to a house in Manchester or salford,,, i often remove very old stop taps and wonder how old these are Ive googled and never found any thing

gortonboy
29-11-2009, 5:11 PM
In the 1830s, Manchester faced a crisis. The health of its inhabitants was at risk owing to the lack of clean water and adequate sanitation. This fostered the spread of epidemic diseases such as cholera. At the same time, factories consumed ever-increasing amounts of water.

The solution to Manchester's water supply problem came with two remarkable feats of Victorian engineering. John Frederic La Trobe Bateman, Manchester Corporation's water engineer, supervised the construction of a vast series of reservoirs in the nearby Longdendale valley. By 1851, a pure supply of water arrived in Manchester. The second project was even grander in scale. In 1891, the Thirlmere scheme brought clean water via a 96-mile (154-kilometre) aqueduct from the Lake District.

To solve the problem of what to do with the city's waste water, two giant intercepting sewers were built in 1889 and 1911. These diverted sewage away from the rivers to be treated at the innovative Davyhulme sewage works.

gortonboy
29-11-2009, 5:16 PM
In the late Middle Ages water from a spring was brought along elm pipes to a conduit in Manchester where the townspeople could fetch water. The spring gave its name to Spring Gardens and Fountain Street.
Springs in the Shudehill area were once Manchester's principal water supply, hence the names Well Street and Spring Alley. Pits which are now filled in, were used as water storage until Holt Town Reservoir was built in 1808. The Shudehill source ceased permanently when Gorton Reservoir was opened in 1826.

plumbercarl
30-11-2009, 8:20 AM
thanks for the replies sup prized to find out it was so long ago,, i often come across older houses usual terraces were although the old lead pipe work as been removed years a go the supply from the out side to the stop tap is still there,, i have quit a few of these old valves which i keep on the van for emergencies they look rather old but not to certain of dates ,,,in an unusual way they are antiques from a bygone age ,,, just an after though can any one tell me if there are still any roads or streets still standing in salford or Manchester ,, which would have been built with out running water???