PDA

View Full Version : Licensed Victuallers records Nottinghamshire

jangar
29-11-2009, 2:13 AM
where can I gain access to records of licensed victuallers in Nottingham 1901 to 1915 please?

I have an Annie Smith , a widow on the 1911 census running the Sir Francis Burdett in Mount St Nottingham and an Annie Smith ( we know she was a widow at that time) at 14 Cumberland Place Notts in the 1915/16 trade directory and at that address on my grandfathers war service records.

I want to find out if it's the one and same person.

thanks, Janet in Australia

Peter Goodey
29-11-2009, 7:29 AM
I suspect this question would have been best in a new thread.
However, Nottinghamshire Archives are the people to ask - that's where I would expect to find licensing records.

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/home/leisure/archives.htm

Many widows had taken over the licence when their husbands died. The licensing records may allow you to trace back to find the husband's name. Notts Archives have a research service.

Procat
29-11-2009, 7:55 AM
I suspect this question would have been best in a new thread.

I agree Peter.

New thread created in case others have any thoughts on the matter.

jangar
29-11-2009, 9:41 AM
thanks for the info, yes I have managed to find all previous census info on the 'pub Annie' including her husband, since she was a child.

Peter Goodey
29-11-2009, 9:56 AM
So what are you saying? Was the husband a publican when he died?

jangar
21-12-2009, 8:36 AM
yes the 'pub' Annie's husband died while they owned the Sir Francis Burdett. She then leaves the pub as I found it was later owned by someone else. But is it the same Annie that is in 14 Cumberland st (around the corner) in the next edition of the trade directory?

Peter Goodey
21-12-2009, 8:58 AM
It's unlikely that any of the licensees owned the premises, the licensing register should show the details of the owner.

jangar
23-12-2009, 11:21 AM
It's unlikely that any of the licensees owned the premises, the licensing register should show the details of the owner.

Where do you get access for the licensing register for Nottingham please? Sorry but I know nothing about what I'm trying to establish...LOL

Peter Goodey
23-12-2009, 3:55 PM
Where do you get access for the licensing register for Nottingham please?

See message #2 above.