PDA

View Full Version : BAKER Family - Walsham le Willows/Icklingham

maggym
09-04-2005, 5:18 AM
I'm researching the following BAKER family and would be happy to hear from anyone who shares my ancestry:

Jonathan BAKER (C1665-?) and Ann BUTTEN (c1664-?), Walsham le Willows
Jonathan BAKER (c1698-?) and Jane CATCHPOLE (1698-1755), Walsham le Willows
Jonathan BAKER (c1726-?) and Alice REEVE (1725-?), Walsham le Willows
Lucy BAKER (c1763-?) Walsham le Willows - later married Robert STONE of Bardwell Suffolk
George BAKER (1788 Walsham le Willows -1860 Icklingham) and Ann WEBB (1786 Bildeston-1863 Icklingham), Icklingham
Mary Ann BAKER (1825 Icklingham - 1904) and William WALLIS (1820 Lackford-1908), Lackford/Stetchworth Cambridgeshire

spike
26-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Maggym
Saw your thread for Baker family, at Walsham le Willows, I have a family of Bakers from that area, but dont know a lot about them, I have an Emma Baker born about 1822, but am still unsure of her father, could be James or George, she married Henry Wellington Mann on 30th August 1844 at St Leonards, Colchester, just wondered if you knew anything about any of these people.

maggym
05-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi Spike

Sorry I cannot find any reference in my Walsham le Willows records to Emma Baker born c1822. I referred the question to another Baker researcher and she had record of an Emma Baker baptised in St Leonard, Colchester, Essex on 02 March 1828 (born 12 December 1827) daughter of George Baker and Ruth ?. The record appears in the online IGI on the FamilySearch website. Also the marriage of Emma Baker and Henry Wellington Mann in St Leonards, Colchester on 30 August 1844 is listed in the online IGI. Hope you will soon have some luck in finding your Emma!

spike
06-05-2005, 1:34 PM
Thanks for looking, I have also found this Emma but we dont think this is the one, as I have the marriage certificate, for Emma Baker and Henry Wellington Mann her father is down as James Baker, proffession Carpenter, also Emma is down as of full age, which means she must have been around 21, my cousin is working with me on this family and it was he who said that there's possibly a Walsham le willows connection, I dont get to speak to him much at the moment, but I will try to get in touch with him to find out what he actually knows, Thanks again,

Alice51
19-01-2006, 4:00 PM
Hi Maggie,
My ancestor was Harriet Baker, the eldest sister of your Mary Ann. I too have traced the Bakers back to Walsham le Willows, and have also traced Ann Webb, Alice Reeve, Jane Catchpole and Ann Button to a varying degree. I'm reassured that you have come to the same conclusions as I about the Baker line. I wonder if we could usefully exchange any information!
Alice

TerrySBaker
10-05-2006, 6:48 PM
In addition to Walsham-le-Willows there are large groups of Bakers at Rattlesden and Bardwell (use the appropriate IGI batch numbers to download all the data, then try to compile trees from it). In the floor of Rattlesden church there are a couple of ledger slabs for Bakers, one for George Baker (died 27 Feb 1684 aged 65). He had a coat of arms consisting of a Goat Statant (i.e. all 4 feet on the ground). A Baker/Bakers at Bardwell (formerly Norfolk?) also have a goat in the coat of arms [Has anyone seen it?] I would like to know if the goat is statant or Passant (one front leg raised). My Baker family from Kirby Cane, Ditching & Bungay have the goat passant. There are also other Baker groups at Lavenham, Wrentham and possibly Wattisfield (these may be related to the Wrentham Bakers).
Regards,
Terry Sancroft Baker

maggym
28-05-2006, 8:54 AM
Terry, thanks for the information on the Baker's. Trying to work out the connections will keep me busy for some time to come!

Regards
Margaret

jimdearden
05-02-2008, 7:37 PM
Just joined this site so please excuse any gaffs. I traced my ancestory back to a Robert Baker of Hunston c1646 - as Hunston is literally a stones throw away from Walsham-le-Willows thought it may be of interest to this thread. His son John Baker c1661 married Elizabeth Rainbert {Raineberd} b C1661 (Walsham-le Willows). A few generations later they settled in the Sweffling area. As regards family crests - i have absolutely no idea, probably not as they all seem to be farm labourers.

By the way Baker is my mother's maiden name - my grandfather was Albert Edward Baker, b 1871 Sweffling, suffolk.

Jim

maggym
21-06-2008, 4:20 AM
Hi Jim
My apologies for not replying sooner. I'm currently updating the information I have on the Baker family and will be happy to share the information. Hopefully I may be able to find if there's any connection between the Bakers in Hunston. Please be patient with me for a little longer!
Regards
Margaret

brianb
22-06-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi all

sorry to highjack the threas but with so many "Baker" experts on it I was wondering if anyone has lost a George Baker, born around 1866 / 1973.

He is my grandfather who ran away from home as a boy to South Wales, all I know is he was born in England.

Has your tree got a George who dissapeared ?

Thanks for any thoughts given, and sorry I cant help with the original posting.

Cheers

Brian

zumblie
16-09-2008, 7:16 PM
Don't have any Bakers in my tree but have other families from Walsham Le Willows and surrounding villages.
Have you come across the Walsham le Willows Village Website on the internet? It is a brilliant site.
Amongst other things, it gives an Index of names and dates of people's Wills 1396 - 1798. It also gives the list of people in the 1283 Tax Return for Walsham; There is also a list of people who died in the Black Plague in Walsham in 1349.
I have managed to trace some of my 'Hawes' ancestry from this site back to 1200's and found out in the Hawes line that a father and son died in the Black Plague so was able to establish the year of their death - also the Wills section was very helpful in establishing a year of death of some ancestors related to that line.
There are no Bakers Listed in the 1283 Tax return nor the 1349 Black Plague list.
However, there are five Baker's listed in the Wills Index sections
Robert Baker who died 1504;
Margaret [widow] 1538;
William Baker [husbandman] 1556;
Christian Baker 1560;
Richard Baker 1566
Hope this is helpful

jimdearden
17-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Much appreciated, will look into it.
|hug|