PDA

View Full Version : Illegitimacy

ShirleySS
27-11-2009, 11:05 PM
The 1926 Legitimacy Act would explain why my husband's father was born a Rutland in 1907 and when he married in 1946 he was a Smith. His brothers were all born Rutland except the 6th who was born after 1911 and was a Rutland-Smith. I had a h*?/ of a job finding them until I got access to the 1911 census and then it was by accident, looking at the town (it was only a small one luckily). The census actually has a note on it saying unmarried, all children born out of wedlock.
Would there be any record anywhere of a name change
ShirleySS

Mutley
27-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Shirley, I have moved your post to a thread of it's own. I hope you get some replies.

Good Luck

ShirleySS
27-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Thanks Mutley
I see something and post to it. Not sure what the correct procedure is
Shirley

Mutley
27-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Thanks Mutley
I see something and post to it. Not sure what the correct procedure is
Shirley

Procedure? I am not sure what that is either :D

Main thing to remember is,
if you are giving information then add to a thread,
if you want to receive information or are asking a question then start a new one.

But most of all, don't worry about it. Someone will be around to help you out. I only moved your post because the thread you asked your questions on, was already a very complicated one and you may have got lost in the middle of it. ;)

Peter Goodey
28-11-2009, 7:32 AM
The 1926 Legitimacy Act would explain why my husband's father was born a Rutland in 1907 and when he married in 1946 he was a Smith.

Er... it might explain it if you have found a marriage of the parents and if you have found a birth re-registration.

Would there be any record anywhere of a name change

See the points mentioned above .

ShirleySS
28-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Hello Peter

I have just found out that there was definitely NO marriage, so it doesn't appear to be a legal name change. Could someone (or a whole set of siblings) just change their name with no documentation and use the new name for future marriages. I know I have the right people. I just need to know where to prove it now.

Shirley

Peter Goodey
28-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Under English law people can use whatever name they like without any legal formalities.

What name did the mother use? Was a father's name shown on any of the birth certificates?

I don't quite understand what you mean about "Rutland-Smith". That surname isn't listed at all in FreeBMD. Birth certificates at that time did not explicitly show the child's surname. So where does Rutland-Smith come from?

benny1982
28-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Hi Shirley

Could you tell me the full birth name of your husbands father when he was born in 1907?

Ben

ShirleySS
28-11-2009, 3:23 PM
Just the family name, of that branch, the 6th child. I haven't found them on BMD either. Have found the marriage entry though.

Harry Thomas Rutland was my husbands fathers birth name, though he always knew of him as Smith. He was born 5/01/1907. I can't find a Death Reg for him. The nearest is about 10 years out with his age.

I hadn't intended looking into my husbands family yet but couldn't resist after reading a novel set in and around Birmingham on the canals, therefore I haven't requested any certificates but may be able to catch up with some family who may have copies, now I have caught my husbands interest

Thanks
ShirleySS