PDA

View Full Version : Writtle PRs

hawkinob
09-04-2005, 4:37 AM
As the trip to the various Record Offices, for me, is literally once in the 'blue moon', well not literally but near enough, I use the local LDS Family History Centre and order a film of a P. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the PRs for Writtle are somewhat limited:-
"Bishop's transcripts, 1813-1838 Church of England. Parish Church of Writtle (Essex)
Marriage bonds and allegations, 1700-1847 Church of England. Peculiar of Writtle with Roxwell
Marriages at Writtle, 1634-1837 Church of England. Parish Church of Writtle (Essex)
Parish registers, 1842-1899 Church of England. Chapelry of Highwood (Essex)"

Is there any other way that folk in 'remoter' places can access these PRs.

Thank you,
Bob Hawkins.

davedobbin
23-04-2005, 12:41 AM
If you go to http://os.essexcc.gov.uk/heritage/ero/familyhistory/parish_new/churchpage.asp?AtoZ=W&QuickSearch=Find+it%21&Parish=Writtle&ChurchID=626 you will see what parish records are available for Writtle with the ones shown with an 'F' indicating they are avaialble on film/fiche.

Instructions on how to get copies of fiche are available from the link on the page as well, although I think the price has increased. When you contact them, give your snail mail address as well - they certainly used to send an application form for you to complete. Fiche are available in complete sets of a register book (usually between 2 and 4 fiche). I recommend you pay by plastic as the card company sort out the currency conversion and the ERO will calculate and charge the postage at cost instead of you trying to estimate how much to add.

davedobbin
24-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Just when you need a site, it's down; the Law of Sod rules. From what I recall, though, the link *is* bold and black.

Also I believe the cost of fiche is now GBP2.00 or 2.20 per sheet, so a 4 sheet register will cost between GBP8.00 and GBP9.00 (+postage).

DaveD

Essexgirl
03-09-2005, 7:51 PM
Sadly there was a serious fire in Writtle church in 1974 and several parish registers were lost, including my own baptism record.