PDA

View Full Version : Saving B-G tips/messag from listers - How to?

dreward
25-11-2009, 7:49 AM
Over the years I have like many others profited from very useful tips given on the B-G site by various listers.

Generally I Have added these to a separate data directory created per year. Now I have so many tips that I can no longer see the wood for the trees and was wondering whether I can make in my B-G User CP a directory where I can add only those tips(messages) that I find in B-G.

This would save me not only hours of (sometimes fruitless) searching but also avoid me having to send queries on questions previously asked.

Any ideas? Or does this option already exist?

Dave

esdel
25-11-2009, 8:27 AM
Excellent idea!
I too have copious note and wonder for how many years B-G will allow me to refer back to the original threads in the light of new data as it develops

esdel

Procat
25-11-2009, 8:30 AM
Sorry I don't have an answer for you. However I will move this thread from General Family History Queries to Problems Navigating Brit Gen.

Ladkyis
25-11-2009, 8:46 AM
I don't keep anything I don't want to lose on the computer because I kill them so often. I print anything that is useful or copy it by hand into a tips and notes book. I find that writing it down is the best way of remembering it.

Geoffers
25-11-2009, 9:09 AM
Go to User CP

Look in the left hand column and scroll down to the heading 'Subscribed threads'

If there is an option in there 'Edit Folders' click on that and add a new folder (call it 'useful tips' or something similar).

Then when you subscribe to threads simply make sure that you put them into that folder.

How do you put them into that folder? - Well when you type a reply look to the bit below 'Submit reply' - it's under 'Additional Options'

Under 'Thread Subscription' you can chose whether to have e-mail notification, or not and stuff like that. Next to it is the choice of which folder you use to put the thread subscription.

Pam Downes
25-11-2009, 9:44 AM
I have this problem with county mailing lists I belonged to long before BG, plus a FH programme. I won't confess to a precise number but think a one followed by four noughts, and you're getting there. |oopsredfa (I am currently on a major assault to rid myself of the 'clutter', as I think only about 1 in 50 messages has any real value. The rest are just 'interesting', e.g. local dialect, population of a town/village at a certain time. Even worse are the ones that should have been deleted at the time of receipt - but for some reason weren't - as they are of no use.)

I know Geoffers has told you how to keep a thread, but presumably it's the individual information within a thread that you need to access, and I can't see a way to do that with BG.

First of all, how have you stored the present information? (As a link to a thread, copied messages, etc.)
Obviously my mailing list ones are as a whole email. So the information I want I put in a Word document (or similar). Give a heading for a particular message (e.g. FreeBMD, missing London census), and then copy-and-paste the message. I am aware of possible copyright problems, but as this is for my own information and I have no intention of publishing anything, then I believe I am OK to do this.
Depending on whether or not I think I might need to refer back to the original thread, I make a note of (user) name of the poster and the date. With a BG message I would also add the thread and forum it was in. I could also put a direct link to either the message or the thread if I wanted. The thread bit is easy - just copy-and paste the URL. To provide a direct link to an individual post, click on the number in the top-right corner of a post box. Then copy-and-paste the URL.
Obviously you can make as many pages as you want to in Word. Separate alpha pages, a whole one for London, Australia, wills, etc. Headings for the different messages can be coloured to stand out, and/or bulleted. You can also colour the user names and dates.
You can then create a folder for all the BG notes pages.

BG also has an excellent search facility. Main page, small banner across the top, 'search'. Select 'advance search'. Especially note the box on the right-hand side which enables you to select precise forums to search.
Pam

Geoffers
25-11-2009, 12:53 PM
I know Geoffers has told you how to keep a thread, but presumably it's the individual information within a thread that you need to access, and I can't see a way to do that with BG.

Outside B-G, using bookmarks, create a folder (or series of folders).

Then when you find a message of particular interest, click on the message number (it's over to the right of the screen). Once you'ev done this add it to the folder(s) in your bookmarks.

Pam Downes
25-11-2009, 1:44 PM

Then when you find a message of particular interest, click on the message number (it's over to the right of the screen). Once you'ev done this add it to the folder(s) in your bookmarks.
Strangely enough, in the last fortnight I've saved several threads to my bookmarks. Never thought of bookmarking a single message. |dunce2|

In my defence, when I said

I should have more precisely written "and I can't see a way to do that within BG".
Pam

Geoffers
25-11-2009, 2:07 PM
I undertsood what you meant Pam, hence beginning my reply "Outside B-G". I don't know of a way to subscribe to a single message just using B-G forums. Bookmarks are the best I could come up with for individual messages. If anyone can suggest something better (bearing in mind my lack of techincal expertise) I'd be interested to read it.

dreward
26-11-2009, 10:53 AM

To Pam and Geoffers
Many thanks to both of you for your input here. My existing method of storage is to "cut & paste" direct into a specified WP directory including the name of message sender/replier and date(s) which is similar to what you also do, Pam.

However Geoffers' alternative, as above, is much simpler and that is what I will be adopting from now on. Because I recorded dates/senders, I hope to be able to retrieve (some of) the original messages from the B-G archives - or at least those I want to still save - and enter in the new bookmark.

Simple when you know how but like Pam it hadn't occured to me to click on a message number to see what that produced.

Dave

Sue Mackay
26-11-2009, 12:49 PM
like Pam it hadn't occured to me to click on a message number to see what that produced.

This is also a good way to post a link to a particular post in a long thread, rather than posting a link to the whole thread and saying "See #37"

v.wells
26-11-2009, 4:49 PM
I have now created some folders but how do I move threads already saved, to the new folder?

Geoffers
26-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I have now created some folders but how do I move threads already saved, to the new folder?

Vanessa - Do you mean a bookmark folder with your internet provider, or a folder in your User CP in the B-G forums?

v.wells
27-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Geoffers - a folder in my User CP in the B-G

Geoffers
27-11-2009, 5:04 PM
Okedoke - each thread to which you are already subscribed will have to be moved individually to the new folder(s). You may wish to either print this folder off, or open a new tab to B-G forums and keep this post open.

Click on 'User CP'

Click on 'View all threads'

Clcik on the first thread that you wish to move.

In the header to the thread you will see 'thread tools'
- click on this and a drop-down menu opens.

Select 'Unsubscribe from thread'

You will unsubscribed and taken back to that thread

Click on 'thread tools' again

From the drop-down menu select 'subscribe to thread'

In the new window there are two fields. The default settings are 'no email notification' and in the second 'folder' field 'Subscriptions'

Click on the downward arrow next to 'subscriptions' and select the new folder which you might have named 'useful infor' or whatever.

With the 'useful info' folder selected click on 'add subscription'

You will need to repeat this with each subscription you wish to move to your new folder(s).

I hope that makes sense

v.wells
27-11-2009, 6:16 PM
Thank you Geoffers |hug| I have 81 sub threads so it would be good to reduce the number into relevant folders. I have printed off your post and will give it a go. Thank you.