PDA

View Full Version : Walter Raliegh Croxton - Riley Croxton

zane
24-11-2009, 2:35 AM
:)Hi

My stepfather's grandmother was a Pauliene Caroliene Maire Croxton, her father was Walter Raliegh Croxton born 1862 in Ramsden. Now searching for Paulienes Christening, her father came up as Raliegh, preferring to use his middle name. The only name that keeps cropping up on the 1871 and 1881 census is the name Riley Croxton born in 1862 in Ramsden, my query is, is this the same person, the person filling in the original census forms perhaps misheard the name Raliegh and put Riley? I can find Walter in th 1901 census in Brigtwell Salome St Nicholas but not in anyother census. Riley comes up in 1871 and 1881 but no others! Wondering what others may think to this any help would be appreciated

Procat
24-11-2009, 3:22 AM
Hi Zane,

Is this him in the 1891?

Civil parish: Mitcham
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter and St Paul
Town: Mitcham
County/Island: Surrey
Registration district: Croydon
Sub-registration district: Mitcham

RG12; Piece: 602; Folio 91; Page 8;

(record held by TNA, Crown Copyright)

Address: Farm House to let Lillian Rd

Raleigh Croxton, Head, Mar, 29, Bricklayers Labourer, Employed, Oxfordshire, Ramsden
Marie Croxton, Wife, Mar, 32, Germany, Bremman?
Harry Croxton, Son, 8, Scholar, Surrey, Streatham
Lina? Croxton, Daur, 4, Surrey, Streatham

(Indexed under Crowton)

Procat
24-11-2009, 3:27 AM
Given that your Riley in the 1881 is a Bricklayer's Labourer and so is the gent in the 1891 I think (given the same place of birth and the age being in line) that in all probability he is the same chap.

Do his parents match in the 1871 and 1881 census as far as names, occupation, age etc? If so that again makes it likely he is the same person.

zane
24-11-2009, 4:06 AM
Hi Procat

Yes that is him, thanks, he doesn't show up on Ancestry for this census, although his daughter is Pauliene Caroliene Marie and the son is William George Harry, so the person filling in the orginal census obviously got the names slightly wrong again! Paulienes name seems to change pretty regulary the first and second names often get switched around and my stepfather knew her as Marie! Tell you one thing in another life think we would all make good detectives :D

zane
24-11-2009, 6:17 AM
Found him on Ancestry under Crowton, thanks :)

Procat
24-11-2009, 6:24 AM
Excellent. :)