PDA

View Full Version : Scanlan and McCreadie

N McCreadie
22-11-2009, 8:44 PM
Hi

I am researching family history and i am missing the above named relatives both of whom i believe have a connection with the iom.

The first is Eliza Taylor McCreadie nee Scanlan born in 1910. Her last known contact with the family was in 1964 in Edinburgh.

The other relative is a John MCreadie whom emmigrated to Australia in 1964 but on his application form indicated that he went to school in the IOM and worked there breifly before working in Liverpool and Leith . He has not been traced since 1964.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Jan1954
22-11-2009, 8:52 PM
Hello N McCreadie - welcome to Brit-Gen.

I have removed John's birthdate from your post as there is a possibility that he could still be living. Please read the Acceptable User Policy (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/announcement.php?f=230) (AUP), which explains that details of possibly living people are not allowed on the forum.

If anyone is able to help N McCreadie, please do so via the private messaging system, if the person is still potentially alive. :)

Thank you,

ChristineR
23-11-2009, 5:21 AM
According to his emmigration application, John's parents - Elisabeth and John - gave permission for him to travel (being a juvenile) I had a look at his digital file on the Australian Archives website. The address given for both himself and his mother was Leith st, Edinburgh. (He did not work in Leith)

He worked in Isle of Man for a very short time as a farm boy
Sept 1958, on a farm owned by D Hyslop, Ballarink Marown, Isle of Man. Apparently he finished his schooling Ballakameen Douglas, IOM, his family may have moved a lot by the sound of his vagueness about his educational history.
By 1962 he was back in Scotland - working for a builder, at Musselburgh.

He went to New South Wales, by air, in 1964. Since he was born in the 1940s, he is most likely still alive. If not, our death indexes cut out at 1985 in Victoria (I have checked the cd for that) and NSW goes to 1978.

You will need to search the records in Scotland for the death of his parents. I presume you have his father's death, as you only mention his mother. Could she have remarried? age is no barrier to that!

N McCreadie
23-11-2009, 10:20 AM
His mother is the other person that is missing and i hvae checked scotttish records and there is nothing regarding his death (or her death) here. His father died in the late 1970's having divorced his mother and so i cannot get a trace from him. I am therefore still non the wiser as to where or how to establish if he iss till in Australia. I had written to the trade unions pertaining o his woek skills on his application form but non replied so cannot ascertain if he was even a member of a trade uinion. As i say i am stuck with where else to look.|banghead|

Procat
23-11-2009, 10:46 AM
According to his record on the Australian National Archives (http://www.naa.gov.au/) he intended to settle in NSW. This is free to view.

You could try the Australian telephone directory at :

whitepages.com.au/wp/initResSearch.do?subscriberName=&location=

(put www at the start)

Not everyone is listed of course.

Lisa Smith
01-05-2016, 10:54 AM
According to his emmigration application, John's parents - Elisabeth and John - gave permission for him to travel (being a juvenile) I had a look at his digital file on the Australian Archives website. The address given for both himself and his mother was Leith st, Edinburgh. (He did not work in Leith)

He worked in Isle of Man for a very short time as a farm boy
Sept 1958, on a farm owned by D Hyslop, Ballarink Marown, Isle of Man. Apparently he finished his schooling Ballakameen Douglas, IOM, his family may have moved a lot by the sound of his vagueness about his educational history.
By 1962 he was back in Scotland - working for a builder, at Musselburgh.

He went to New South Wales, by air, in 1964. Since he was born in the 1940s, he is most likely still alive. If not, our death indexes cut out at 1985 in Victoria (I have checked the cd for that) and NSW goes to 1978.

You will need to search the records in Scotland for the death of his parents. I presume you have his father's death, as you only mention his mother. Could she have remarried? age is no barrier to that![/QUOTE[QUOTE]EMAIL= LISASMITH1967 at LIVE dot CO dot UK

Lisa Smith
01-05-2016, 11:15 AM
HELLO, N, McCreadie
I believe John McCreadie you write of is my uncle, my mothers name was Jeanette Taylor Scanlan McCreadie, she had a brother who went away with his mother his my mother believed to Australia with his mother, leaving his sisters behind, there were three sisters Ellan, Sandra and my mother, though theres some unsurity about Sandrass relationship to the other girls?, The last I heard about John he was back in Scotland possibly Glasgow? we would like to get in touch as his sister passed away in 2009

Pam Downes
01-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Hello Lisa,

Welcome to British-Genealogy. :smile5:

N. McCreadie hasn't been around the forum for some while but provided they have the same email address as when they joined they should receive notification of your post.

Pam

Lisa Smith
01-05-2016, 11:45 AM
why stop look ? we try find our uncle ???

Pam Downes
01-05-2016, 12:53 PM
why stop look ? we try find our uncle ???
Do you mean why has the original poster, N McCreadie seemed to stopped looking? Without them giving a reason on the thread, who knows? Perhaps they just couldn't find any leads at all, and gave up the search as a bad job. Perhaps they did find out what happened, but didn't come back to BG to tell us.

Fingers crossed, they did find an answer, and will be able to reply to you.

Pam

Lisa Smith
01-05-2016, 1:04 PM
Do you mean why has the original poster, N McCreadie seemed to stopped looking? Without them giving a reason on the thread, who knows? Perhaps they just couldn't find any leads at all, and gave up the search as a bad job. Perhaps they did find out what happened, but didn't come back to BG to tell us.

Fingers crossed, they did find an answer, and will be able to reply to you.

Pam

I got photo of john

Lisa Smith
01-05-2016, 1:06 PM
I got photo of john i try put photo i learn it and im deaf

Lisa Smith
01-05-2016, 1:09 PM
you can help how scatch to them ?
let me know soon keep touch

christanel
02-05-2016, 3:24 AM
Hi Lisa
If you are trying to put a photo of John on the forum click on 'reply' then click on the picture frame which is to the right of the globe above the blue reply box.
Next click on 'browse' to find the photo wherever you have it on your computer. Click on the photo, click on 'open' and lastly click on 'Upload" then 'Post reply' and it is done.:smile5:

Christina