PDA

View Full Version : Your tax return.

David Annis
21-11-2009, 11:40 AM
This email arrived on my computer yesterday.
Service@hmrc.gov.uk
Starts
Please Submit Your Payment Refund
Dear Applicant.
It goes on to tell me that I have a tax refund of 178.25
There is an attachment with a form to fill in asking for all banking details.

Well the letter mis spells reviewed = reviwed. There is no £ in front of the amount that is due and the form has been re hashed at the top of the page.
I rang the tax people and told them that I had received this scam email.
They said that they had had several reports about it.

Remember.
HM Revenue & Customs, do not know your email address. They have never asked you for it, you have never given it to them.
They would never email you, all contact from them would be by post.
They would never ask for your banking details on line.

Please WARN your family and friends. Do not fill in the form or else they will be very poor by the time the scammers have cleaned out the bank account.

Cheers
Dave.

BeeE586
21-11-2009, 1:53 PM
I have today received something along these lines supposedly coming from Customer Care at one of the big banks, telling me that my online banking has been revoked and will I fill in this attached form. Needless to say I haven't done any such thing.

The thing does look very genuine, apart from the fact that I am addressed as Dear Nat West Customer when I am not.

Christmas is coming - the season for scams so as Dave says ..................... BEWARE !

Eileen

stickymone
21-11-2009, 8:51 PM
I recently had one of these from one of the big banking institutions (You know the one that used to have a black horse in itís adverts) I donít bank with them and never have done.

Most of the big banks have dedicated E-mail contact where this sort of Spam can be sent. If you receive one of these, forward it to the appropriate mail address, apparently it helps with the collation of evidence against these guys.

Stickymone :)

BeeE586
25-02-2010, 3:03 PM
Similar scam to Dave, refund offerd because of overpaid tax - asked to fill in the attached form and MUST BE RETURNED BEFORE JANUARY 15th.

This arrived a short time ago - do they think we are barmy ?

Eileen

Devonmade
25-02-2010, 4:19 PM
I've had an official notification from HMRC after filling in tax return. They have decided they owe me 40pence.

pennydog
25-02-2010, 4:34 PM
:rofl: Dont go mad and spend it all at once Devonmade.

Devonmade
25-02-2010, 7:24 PM
I've seen no sign of it yet.
On another point my husband retired recently and the tax office have caught on to this because of his pension. To date he has had 10 notifications of tax numbers because of all the problems they have been having with their database. He now has no faith that they will ever get things correct.

Procat
26-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Similar email circulates here in OZ. Purportedly coming from the Australian Taxation Office Inland Revenue. Full of the usual spelling mistakes - and the ATO does not use the phrase Inland Revenue.

Nannas
02-03-2010, 12:24 AM
hahahahaha,
I like it when you get those type of emails,,,,,and you trace the return address to Russia (or somewhere similar)
Yup my Australian Tax Office or Australian Bank now has all it's billing and accounts handled by some person in Russia with a y*** account!!!!!! (not sure if I can mention names of accounts)

I really shouldn't laugh because I know of people who have been caught with these scams but geee,,,,,c'mon people!!

MarkJ
02-03-2010, 12:52 AM
You would be surprised how many people do get caught out Nannas. The figures are mind-boggling when talking of the amount of money which is being scammed out of people by these tricks.

Whilst we are all sure that we would never fall for such scams, I can assure you that it is possible - given the right circumstances - to get anyone to hand over enough details to steal their money or identity.

I consider myself fairly aware when it comes to the various scams and tricks - I have been studying internet fraud tricks for many years as an interest of mine. I have studied viruses and trojans and - until fairly recently - spent a lot of my spare time on these matters. Yet even I have been caught out - admittedly only in a demonstration of social engineering and only partly caught out - but I was.
So I can understand how some less security conscious people do fall for these tricks. We may not fall for some badly spelled iffy email from someone claiming to be a Prince from some country trying to get his legit cash out of the country, or a request from a bank or offical government body which has some glaring errors or a dodgy email address in some strange far off land, but, given a carefully worded correspondence from someone who has put a lot of effort into their deception and anyone can be scammed.

Online, I always stick to the old rules - never open unexpected attachments without checking the sender actually did send it, if using Windows always scan attachments anyway, use up to date AV programs and a good firewall and remember - you cannot win a lottery you never entered and nobody will ever "find your details" online and decide that you are a good person who can help them in their time of need....

When in doubt - always ask for advice from someone you trust who knows what they are doing. Contact the bank and check, ring the tax office or whatever - and remember that nobody will ever ask you to divulge a password or account details via email or an unsolicited call.

Oh - one other quick word of advice - never ever be tempted to "play along" with any of these daft emails which ask for money or details.

Mark