PDA

View Full Version : Boats called ADA, CLARE, ALICE, ESTHER, ETHEL

ShirleySS
16-11-2009, 3:56 PM
Hi Maggiemac
I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction. I have a George RUSHTON b.1865. He married Kate Hallam who is on the census for 1901 as Wife. George must have been at sea. My father tells me that George (my G Grandfather) had a fishing fleet of five, all named after his daughters. I want to find confirmation of these boats called ADA, CLARE, ALICE, ESTHER AND ETHEL and don't know where to start.
Shirley

Maggiemac
17-11-2009, 8:26 AM
Hi ShirleySS, I have had a quick look around for trawler owners in the name of Rushton but cant seem to see one,do you know if he chose a certain name to call his fishing business? I also looked for Grimsby Skippers but did not find him there either,of course I have only looked at one list.

He was a fisherman I see in 1889 when he married Kate Hallam .
He also seems to be away from home in the 1911 census.
Kate is with her children but no George.

I am sorry I cant help you this time.But if you can think of anything else I could help with please let me know.

Maggiemac

ChristineR
17-11-2009, 8:57 AM
Hello Shirley,
welcome to BG Forums - as you can see, I have moved these posts from the Introduce Yourself board to a thread of their own on this Canals and Watermen board.
Hoping someone can help.
:)

sue1
17-11-2009, 9:30 AM
Hi Shirley,

Where was your g/grandfather born in 1865 and where was his wife in the 1901 census?

Certainly the area of the census in 1901 should give a clue as to where he fished - he probably fished near where he lived

Kings Lynn in Norfolk had an enormous fishing fleet in the 17/1800's and there is a fishing fleet museum there - they fished in the North sea. The museum is called Trues Yard and there is a website if you happened to find this could be the area.

Sue

Maggiemac
17-11-2009, 9:35 AM
Hi Shirley, I found...

Absent Voters List for Grimsby 1914/18

George Rushton of 28 Duke Street
481 MSA Skipper R.N.R.T HMS Pekin.

Maggiemac

ShirleySS
17-11-2009, 6:03 PM
Thanks Maggiemac. I think his fleet must have come well after the daughters. Ethel would have been my Grandmother and she was born around 1900, possibly 2nd youngest.
I have the boat info from my father, but he is rather spasmodic on the bits he can remember. He remembers cycling from Leeds to stay with his grandparents in a house called Rushlam in Humberston. He has also told me that any family member can get free entry to the Fishermans Museum. I have never tried but believe it no longer exists in its former premises

ShirleySS
17-11-2009, 6:05 PM
Hello Sue
Thankyou for your input but they are definitely Grimsby people
Shirley

Maggiemac
17-11-2009, 9:19 PM
Hi Shirley, this may sound odd...but did your father ever mention that Ethel Rushton's dad had a fried fish shop?
If so I have found her marriage,also Ethel's brother William Henry's marriage.
Not much help in finding the ships though is it!?!!

Maggiemac

Kerrywood
17-11-2009, 9:52 PM
I know nothing about this subject, but I wonder if this link (http://www.nelincs.gov.uk/leisure/archives/registeredandlostships.htm) is of any use? Would these registers include fishing vessels? :confused:

Kerrywood

Geoffers
17-11-2009, 10:42 PM
If the ownership of these vessels was after 1894 - see Paragraph 7 of this research guide (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=132) - although visiting Grimsby as per the link mentioned by Kerrywood would seem easier for you.

ShirleySS
18-11-2009, 8:23 PM
Hi All

Thank you so much. The list of vessels is really useful from your link. Just what I was hoping to find.

I will have to get to Grimsby and have a chat with someone in the museum I think.

Yes Maggiemac, I new about the Fried Fish Shop. I will have to find out for sure which came first the shop or the fishing boats. My Dad isn't too well just now and gets confused

Shirley

enacozens
01-04-2010, 3:11 PM
enacozens AT hotmail DOT co DOT uk
Hi Maggiemac
I would be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction. I have a George RUSHTON b.1865. He married Kate Hallam who is on the census for 1901 as Wife. George must have been at sea. My father tells me that George (my G Grandfather) had a fishing fleet of five, all named after his daughters. I want to find confirmation of these boats called ADA, CLARE, ALICE, ESTHER AND ETHEL and don't know where to start.
Shirley

martin.blanch
02-08-2010, 7:27 PM
My Grandmother Was Esther Louise Rushton and her father Was George Rushton, the house in humberston was called Rushlam and i do not remember him owning any vessels my grandmother did mention once that he had the opportunity to go into partnership with a company called Robinson but turned it down, the chip shop was in Tiverton Street Cleethorpes and was bought after he left the sea . and from there they moved to Humberston to the house that was built to his design.

WornOutEngine
15-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Hi Maggiemac
Shirley

Hya, I am the g grandson of George Rushton. He was baptised as follows: Name: George Rushton Gender: Male Baptism Date: 28 Oct 1864 Baptism Place: Horncastle, Lincoln, England Father: Aaron Rushton Mother: Emma FHL Film Number: 1542140 Reference ID: v 1/11 p 99/

I live just 5 minutes away from where he lived in Humberston and 10 mins from his place of burial, Humberston St Peters Church. (also where my son was married) I have heard about the 5 boats but also have had no luck finding info. I will go to the Fishing Heritage Centre to try my luck there. I have been to Horncastle on a number of occasions researching and finding out what I can about where they lived and were brought up.
I would be happy to share any information and collaborate in any research with you. I have a tree on Ancestry which I would be happy to share.

Have just come across this. Absent Voters List, Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England
RUSHTON, George 28 Duke Street 481 M.S.A. Skipper, R.N.R.T., H.M.S. Pekin

Best regards.

Sue Mackay
15-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Hallo wornoutengine, and a very warm welcome to British Genealogy

This is obviously an old thread, but hopefully those who are still members will be alerted to your posting by e-mail.

BTW, the link given by Kerrywood in #9 no longer works, but if you Google NELincs and Register of Lost Ships you automatically get a PDF download when you click on the link.

WornOutEngine
18-05-2015, 10:36 PM
Hi Shirley,
George Rushton is also my GGrandfather and I have quite a lot of info about him. He was a skipper but never owned any trawlers. My understanding form my Aunt Ena, his granddaughter is that he named his daughters after the names of trawlers.
Alice Rushton (Clayton) was my grandmother. (Photo)
Who are you related to? I live in Cleethorpes and look forward to hearing from you. saxbyrATmsnDOTcom
https://www.british-genealogy.com/extensions/uploads/8e1d2f31-50c5-4ede-abea-0fae9d064703.jpg