PDA

View Full Version : Capt/Gen Alexander Anderson

yodakitty
14-11-2009, 5:50 PM
From the U.S. :

Capt. Alexander Anderson, Royal Marine, d.1814 on Lake Champlain and buried in the U.S. I've found his will @ natn'l archives: filed @ Chatham by his executor, David Ballingall.
Shows he was widowed with a son, Alexander. I'm looking for information on Capt. Anderson, his service info, and wife.

Gen. Alexander Anderson, Royal Marine, d. 1877. buried @ Brompton Cem. in London. I'm seeking bio. information for him and his service info. Is he the son of Capt. Alexander Anderson?

thanks
yodakitty

DRosebud
14-11-2009, 6:06 PM
Welcome yodakitty,

You are aware that Gen. A. Anderson is on Wikipedia website? I find the photo of his memorial very interesting.

Regards, Deborah

Geoffers
14-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Welcome to the B-G forums

This TNA research guide gives information on tracing Royal Marine Officers (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=58)the problem for you being access to the records in ADM196, unless there is a film copy of them at a mormon church (LDS) record centre.

The 1861 census
RG9/647 f10 p1
Alverstoke, Hampshire
Alexander ANDERSON, hd, unm, 58, Colonel Commandent, bn Rochester, Kent
(The census book is for Royal Marines stationed at Forton).

So, there is at least a birthplace for the chap who popped his clogs in 1877 - a baptism may turn up for him in local registers.

DRosebud
14-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Christening date: 12 June 1807
Father: Alexander Anderson
Mother: Harriet

Rochester, Kent, England; Collection: St Margaret; Date Range: 1791 -1812;
Film Number: 1469266.

yodakitty
15-11-2009, 1:55 PM
Thanks, Deb. I've been to the Wiki site re: his grave marker. Shame that someone thought so little as to steal one of the cannon balls from his grave.
yodakitty

DRosebud
15-11-2009, 2:14 PM
Hello yodakitty,

I agree but I wonder if perhaps it had been loose and the cemetary/grounds keeper had stored it to fix and then forgotten?

On the side, I visited the gravesite of my ggrandmother in Plymouth, England and found her grave to be covered over with English Ivy. I paid to have it uncovered and discovered not only was my ggrandfather buried there but her second husband ( details I did not have!) and also a small urn placed years later by the family. Have wondered if that urn is still there...must check.

Deborah

yodakitty
15-11-2009, 2:41 PM
For Geoffers:
Thanks for the lead - I'll contact the local LDS center.

For Deb:
I've been in touch with the Brompton Cemetery staff and hope to have an answer for the missing cannon ball soon (I assumed that it had been stolen). Hope I was wrong . . .

yodakitty

crimea1854
15-11-2009, 5:06 PM
Hi

I'm assuming you know that Capt. Anderson was killed in the war between Britain and America, but just in case, a link with some details in which Anderson is mentioned:

rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nyclinto/gazetteer/notes.html"]http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nyclinto/gazetteer/notes.html

Martin

Peter Goodey
15-11-2009, 5:34 PM
There was an obituary in The Times. Sorry I didn't note the reference.

yodakitty
15-11-2009, 10:19 PM
For Crimea 1854: Martin - thanks for thinking of me. I'm aware that Anderson died in the naval engagement on Lake Champlain, September 11th, 1814. He's buried in Riverside Cemetery in Plattsburgh, New York beside his fellow fallen officers and American officers from the battle.

For Peter Goodey: I'll check the Times for an obit, thanks.

yodakitty

Peter Goodey
16-11-2009, 11:44 AM
I'll check the Times for an obit, thanks.

Fri 23 Nov 1877, page 6

yodakitty
16-11-2009, 1:43 PM
For Drosebud (Deb):
The supervisor for the Brompton Cemetery (managed by Royal Parks) confirms that the cannon ball from Gen. Anderson's grave marker was, sadly, stolen. The kindness of you and the others we meet in our quests helps to salve the pain of knowing that others would destroy a memory. (sigh)(smile)
yodakitty

DRosebud
17-11-2009, 1:26 AM
Hello yodakitty,

I am sorry to hear the news as had hoped for the forgetful groundskeeper. So we will keep alive the memory of our ancesters.

All the very best,
Deborah