PDA

View Full Version : Died on the railways 9th Sept 1931

Sandra Parker
14-11-2009, 11:16 AM
|help| My GGUncle, Charles Arthur Van Der Delden (Vandervelden & also many variations of this) was born in England in 1877 in Fulham but went to India as a young man sometime betwen 1891 and 1903 when he married Mabel Armstead who had been born in Camalapore(?)India. They had 9 children, most born in India.
On 9th September 1931 he was killed in an railway accident at Jhansi. He was a guard on the railways.
Mabel and the children returned to England following his death.
I would expect that there could be some dort of write up in a paper, either in India or in the papers available in England which reported incidents etc in the 'colonies.' Would anybody have any idea where I could find such a reference? Or where I could start looking forsuch a report? Would there have been an inquest?
Sandra

Procat
15-11-2009, 2:55 AM
Hi Sandra,

Just tried a search of the Times Digital Archives but no hits.

Sandra Parker
15-11-2009, 5:16 AM
thanks Procat. I know the date & place are correct as it's from the British Library's Indian records.
Do you think it would be possible to get a death cetiifcate and if so, where would I apply?
Sandra

Procat
15-11-2009, 5:23 AM
Hi Sandra,

I just checked the British overseas deaths index on FindMyPast and he is not there.

Perhaps these (http://www.cbjhansi.org.in/birthregister.htm) folk could help?

Sandra Parker
15-11-2009, 9:38 AM
I have sent off a query, so now to wait the outcome.

Thanks for your advice.
Sandra with a grateful spectacular aura. :)

Geoffers
15-11-2009, 9:44 AM
thanks Procat. I know the date & place are correct as it's from the British Library's Indian records.

Is there a catalogue reference for the entry that you found? If so, try the BL India Office library to see if they can provide a quote for copying the record that they hold.

There would have been an inquest (is the entry you have foudn from an inquest?), I would assume that if that record has survived it would also be in the India Office Library.

Sandra Parker
16-11-2009, 5:40 AM
Hi Geoffers,
The reference is N/1535/272 and is the register of his death. I have the birth of his wife and a number of their children from the same sources (different numbers of course). These refernces show the date, place and people involved, only.
There does not appear to be any other references to any Van der Delden/Velden (or alternative spelling) at the British Museum Indian records, although I will contact them again with a more specific request regarding a possible record of inquest, which I did not do initially.
One of his sons, Thomas Henry Van Der Delden, later returned and was in the police force in Lucknow, recorded as a Police Inspector in 1937 (taken from British Library Transcription of his marriage to Phyllis Fletcher).

Sandra

Geoffers
16-11-2009, 8:11 AM
If this is via the BL India Office Family Search (http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/Home.aspx) you'll find links available to order copies of specific documents and also a link through to the full BL catalogue; though I am not sure if all entries are individually indexed.

Sandra Parker
16-11-2009, 10:18 AM
'..we are happy to provide certified copies of the entries at a cost of £18 each, payable in £ sterling. Please contact us again if you would like to go down this route.' - APAC Reference Services [email protected]
British Library online at www.bl.uk (http://www.bl.uk)

Oh dear!!!! It's a bit dear!!!!!!!!!

Sandra