PDA

View Full Version : Permission to marry under 21 in 1903

kizibu
06-04-2005, 7:40 PM
I'm new to this forum and I hope I am not repeating old queries or posting in the wrong place.

I have a problem related to my paternal grandmother Emily Boswell who seems to emerge in 1903 aged 19 on the marriage certificate with my grandfather but as far as I can tell has not left any identifiable trace before that date (certainly not in the 1901 or 1891 census).

On that certificate it says her father William Boswell is deceased. Her mother is known to have died while Emily was a child. Emily is said to have been sent away to a convent school. There are plenty of Wm Boswells but none that seem to match the information handed down in the family about his occupation and where they came from or the fact that Emily had an elder brother John.

My question is this: Would Emily have had to have some sort of special permission or licence to marry under the age of 21 in 1903? If so might she have had to give details of her deceased father or mother? And might I find some sort of document or licence recording that information since the marriage certificate has proven to be of little help?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Guy Etchells
06-04-2005, 10:30 PM
No from the 1822 Act (3 Geo IV.c.75 effective in 1823) consent was not required for a marriage of a minor to be valid..
Cheers
Guy

ChristineR
07-04-2005, 3:49 AM
...There are plenty of Wm Boswells but none that seem to match the information handed down in the family about his occupation and where they came from or the fact that Emily had an elder brother John. ....
Any suggestions gratefully received.

I would be cautious about information handed down in this fashion - you can create your own brickwall by trying to match exactly. In my research I've found that a father can have many occupations but only one is usually associated with him - and the information that Emily may have been given about her father may have been inaccurate or hearsay. It depends on when her father died, if she was likely to have had any personal knowledge of him at all, if in fact he had died at all. Our ancestors did some strange things. :)

Christine
Australia