PDA

View Full Version : high court reports

mrsnoah
12-11-2009, 2:49 PM
Hi, can anyone suggest how I narrow down researching a vague family story? Briefly, I was told that my grandfather had shares in a London theatre in Drury Lane and was or had bought farmland in Suffolk(the only option would be Sussex, but he came from Suffolk, so most likely) to retire to. Apparently there was a big scandal at the turn of the century involving a solicitor who had embezzled most of his clients assets including ours and absconded to Canada? This would have been covered by the press but as I dont have any dates to go on I dont know where to look first. Any ideas? reward for anyone recovering the family estate!

Geoffers
12-11-2009, 2:59 PM
Without a name of an offender or a date, you are going to have a long search through court documents that survive (that's assuming that the offender was caught and returned to justice).

Your best bet might be to try Archives.Times online using the name of your grandfather as the aggrieved. If the solicitor was tried at the Old Bailey, their records are free to search up 1913 at oldbaileyonline.org