PDA

View Full Version : Laura Winifred Jones

John Reuben Smith
06-04-2005, 1:05 PM
Laura Winifred Jones was my mothers maiden name, she was born in 1900 at Sheppey Kent. I am trying to find any details about her ancesters, her farthers name was Samuel Joseph Jones a shipwrigh possibly born in Barry S/Wales. Her mothers name I do not know,her sisters names were Hilda and
Myrtle Jones.If anyone can help with any snippet of information I would be most grateful.My mothers first married name was Lewis, date of marriage
unknown she was widowed and married my father at Aylesbury Bucks on
03/03/1934

Trish
07-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Laura Winifred Jones was my mothers maiden name, she was born in 1900 at Sheppey Kent. I am trying to find any details about her ancesters, her farthers name was Samuel Joseph Jones a shipwrigh possibly born in Barry S/Wales. Her mothers name I do not know,her sisters names were Hilda and
Myrtle Jones.If anyone can help with any snippet of information I would be most grateful.My mothers first married name was Lewis, date of marriage
unknown she was widowed and married my father at Aylesbury Bucks on
03/03/1934John, could you be off a little on your mother's birthdate?
The closest match on the 1901 census [which is searchable, free of charge at www.census.pro.gov.uk/ (http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/)] that I could see is the following household [see below].

Note that this Laura is a 5 year old but the father is Samuel, however, and he was born in Wales and he is a shipwright. Oh, yes, and there is a sister Myrtle. So I think this is a match!

They are living at 22 Alexandra Road in Sheerness Kent. Only one child, daughter Irene, was born somewhere other than Sheerness -- and in Malta, at that.

Hope this helps. I will look for the family on earlier censuses and post anything I find.

Name / Age in 1901 / Birthplace Relationship / Occupation
Samuel Jones 48 Pembroke Dock, Wales Head Shipwright
Eliza Jones 36 Sheerness, Kent, England Wife
Edwin Jones 8 Sheerness, Kent, England Son
Irene Jones 12 Malta Daughter
Thomas Jones 10 Sheerness, Kent, England Son
Laura Jones 5 Sheerness, Kent, England Daughter
Ivey Jones 4 Sheerness, Kent, England Daughter
Myrtle Jones 1 Sheerness, Kent, England Daughter

Source information: RG13/815
Registration district: Sheppey
Sub-registration district: Minster
ED, institution, or vessel: 12
Folio: 68
Page: 31
Household schedule number: 215

Trish
07-04-2005, 12:59 PM
The Jones, living at 83 Hope Street in Minster in Sheppey:

Name / Age in 1891 / Birthplace / Relationship / Occupation
Jones, Samuel 38 Pembroke Dock, Wales Head Shipwright
Jones, Eliza M 26 Sheerness, Kent Wife
Jones, Thomas W 6/12 Sheerness, Kent Son
Jones, Irene M M 2 Malta Daughter

Source information: RG12/721
Registration district: Sheppey
Sub registration district: Minster
ED, institution, or vessel: 8
Folio: 7
Page: 8

Trish
07-04-2005, 1:11 PM
In 1881, Samuel JONES is a boarder with the Upton family in Minster in Sheppey. You can view the transcription online at www.familysearch.org (http://www.familysearch.org).

In 1871, Samuel is aboard a vessel named the Cambria:

Name / Age in 1871 / Birthplace / Relationship / Occupation
Thomas Jones 36 Lovanis, Pembrokeshire, Wales [Unmarried] Master
David Johns 33 Lanshipping, Pembrokeshire, Wales [Unmarried] Mate
Samuel Jones 19 Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire, Wales [Unmarried] Boy

Source information: RG10/5369
Registration district: Cardiff
Sub-registration district: Cardiff
ED, institution, or vessel: Cambria
Folio: 69
Page: --
Household schedule number: 1

John Reuben Smith
07-04-2005, 3:13 PM
In 1881, Samuel JONES is a boarder with the Upton family in Minster in Sheppey. You can view the transcription online at www.familysearch.org (http://www.familysearch.org).

In 1871, Samuel is aboard a vessel named the Cambria:

Name / Age in 1871 / Birthplace / Relationship / Occupation
Thomas Jones 36 Lovanis, Pembrokeshire, Wales [Unmarried] Master
David Johns 33 Lanshipping, Pembrokeshire, Wales [Unmarried] Mate
Samuel Jones 19 Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire, Wales [Unmarried] Boy

Source information: RG10/5369
Registration district: Cardiff
Sub-registration district: Cardiff
ED, institution, or vessel: Cambria
Folio: 69
Page: --
Household schedule number: 1
Thank you Trish for your quick reply ,on my mothers marriage cert to my father it has her age as 34 in 1934 and that was what I was going on.I will correct that mistake on my family tree. Iam also trying to find my grandmothers (Eliza M Jones) maiden name so I can continue on that line, Thank you also for details of my grandfather and his other children. I stayed at 22 Alexandra road with my parents on occasions during the war and after it was then a sweet shop etc and owned by my aunt Myrtle.
Best Wishes and thanks
John

Trish
08-04-2005, 4:53 AM
Thank you Trish for your quick reply ,on my mothers marriage cert to my father it has her age as 34 in 1934 and that was what I was going on.I will correct that mistake on my family tree. Iam also trying to find my grandmothers (Eliza M Jones) maiden name so I can continue on that line, Thank you also for details of my grandfather and his other children. I stayed at 22 Alexandra road with my parents on occasions during the war and after it was then a sweet shop etc and owned by my aunt Myrtle.
Best Wishes and thanks
JohnJohn,

[First off, apologies for the repeating text bug...]

Do you know what has happened to 22 Alexandra in the intervening years?

I looked for possible marriages between a Samuel JONES and an Eliza at some time between 1881 and 1889 but the only entry that looked close was for an Elizabeth WHITE who maybe married a Samuel JONES in the June quarter of 1889 in Greenwich. [Brides and grooms are listed but not paired off on the Civil Registration Index.]

I also looked for possible Elizas born in Sheerness on the 1881 and 1871 censuses just now. Of course, it's a little like looking for a needle in a haystack. There are a few who are of the right age but there'sy grandfather and his other children.
Good luck with your research.

Trish