PDA

View Full Version : *One HRB - What does it mean?

Mandie
06-04-2005, 11:42 AM
I've just received a birth certificate for one of my ancestors. To the left of the first column the registrar has written * One HRB. I've never seen this before on a BC and wondered if anyone could tell me what it means.

Mandie

Lindad
06-04-2005, 12:51 PM
Could it mean that this child was a twin and therefore one or other was born one Hour Before?

Don't know... just a suggestion!

Mandie
06-04-2005, 1:13 PM
Could it mean that this child was a twin and therefore one or other was born one Hour Before?

Don't know... just a suggestion!

Ooh, I'd love that to be true - but I don't think it is as I never saw anyone else in the indexes.

I've scanned the BC now so here's the appropriate snippet. Now the full image.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mandieh/robert_WATTS.jpg

ChristineR
06-04-2005, 1:19 PM
Could this be an alteration - and the HRB are the registrars initials?
For example - the number was supposed to be 15, but an inkblot has made it look like 75? so, look at the entry below and see what number it is - if 76 - then forget that :D

Christine

Peter Goodey
06-04-2005, 2:21 PM
"I've scanned the BC now so here's the appropriate snippet."

A snippet isn't enough. It looks like and amendment and a reference to an entry in the amendments book but it's impossible to give a definitive answer without seeing the whole picture.

Mandie
06-04-2005, 3:34 PM
Could this be an alteration - and the HRB are the registrars initials?
For example - the number was supposed to be 15, but an inkblot has made it look like 75? so, look at the entry below and see what number it is - if 76 - then forget that :D

Christine

:) The registrar's name is different to the HRB, but there has been a crossing out of the mothers name, but it hasn't been initialled there. It must be that then. I just thought with it coming before the 1st column it meant something special.

Mandie
06-04-2005, 3:44 PM
A snippet isn't enough. It looks like and amendment and a reference to an entry in the amendments book but it's impossible to give a definitive answer without seeing the whole picture.

Updated the snippet for the full photostat part of the image. I had discounted the crossing out of the Christiana's name because I would have expected any set of initials to be next to that column. I thought that HRB had some special genealogical meaning that I'd never heard of!

Thanks, Peter, for your help. Much appreciated.

Peter Goodey
06-04-2005, 3:55 PM
You're welcome. Yes it's definitely an amendment. HRB may be the intials of the boss.