PDA

View Full Version : 1841 census collumpton broadhembry please

mysticwoman2004
06-04-2005, 11:31 AM
hi im lookin for william ward born collumpton and his wife elizabeth born broadhembry,i know that they were in wiltshire on the 1851 census ,but need to know if they were still in collumpton or broadhembry prior to that ..there may be a son also william age abt 2 in 1841 thanx in anticipation judy

AnnB
06-04-2005, 1:35 PM
Hello Judy
Think this is your family :)

HO107/225/5 Folio 8 Page 11
Cullompton
Workhouse Green
William Ward - 25 - Serge Weaver - born in county
Elizabeth Ward - 25 - born in county
William Ward - 2 - born in county
Sarah Ward - 2 months - born in county

Best wishes
Ann

mysticwoman2004
06-04-2005, 2:47 PM
hiya ann,

thanx for the info ,yes this is the family ....dont suppose you know who has any marriage records for the area ,so i can find elizabeths maiden name ,this family have been a bit of a pain to find , their middle son my gtgt gdad john emigrated to chile abt 1875 and the family over there have been asking abt this side of the family as they until recently didn't know that john had family here as he re.married when my gt grandmothers mother died in chile and my gt gran was sent home to england aged 5 ,she never saw he father again. thanx again for the info you dont know how great it is to find them
your judy

AnnB
06-04-2005, 6:24 PM
Hello Judy
Ir would be almost impossible to find a marriage for William Ward and Elizabeth without knowing where they were married, Ward being quite a common name! It is likely they were married in Devon, possibly in Cullompton, but that cannot be taken for granted. The best way to approach it, is to obtain the birth certificate for either of the children that you already know about, William or Sarah, and the certificate will give you Elizabeth's maiden name. As the 1841 Census was taken on 7th June 1841 and Sarah's age is given as 2 months on that census, it would be fair to assume that she was born about April 1841. However, it is always possible that she escaped the registration net (as many did in the early years of civil registration) and so you may have to resort to parish registers. The obvious first choice for Sarah would be the Cullompton register, which are held at the Devon Record Office.
Hope that helps
Ann