PDA

View Full Version : PARKER - LINCOLN

Sue Mackay
07-11-2009, 10:25 AM
From the South African Commercial Advertiser 16 January 1850

MARRIED by Special Licence at the Episcopal Church, Rondebosch by the Rev J Fry on Monday the 14th inst, Hanington PARKER Esq, youngest son of the late John Cowham PARKER Esq of Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire to Augusta, eldest daughter of John LINCOLN Esq of College Terrace, Islington, London.

EmmaParr
29-11-2009, 3:05 PM
Hi Sue,

I am interested in all decendants of John Cowham Parker. He married twice, firstly to Ann Goodhand and secondly to Eliza Spedding. With Ann he had five children and with Eliza, he had twelve (although I don't know all their names).

Emma Parr (nee Parker)

Sue Mackay
29-11-2009, 3:55 PM
|wave| Hallo Emma, and welcome to B-G Forums. I am delighted that you have found us via my Stray posting. Perhaps you can find out more about John Cowham Parker by posting a query on the Yorkshire East Riding Forum (http://www.british-genealogy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=153), as he appears to have come from Hull.

I see, by the way, that the IGI has a marriage in 1819 in Kingston upon Hull between a John Cowham Parker and an Elizabeth Harrington, though it is a submitted entry rather than an extracted one and should therefore be treated with caution. Is this an earlier generation? In any case it would seem that the marriage I transcribed from the South African Commercial Advertiser should be for Harrington Parker, if that was his mother's maiden name.

EmmaParr
30-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi Sue

The John Cowham Parker I have was born in January 1773 and baptised at Holy Trinity in Hull on 26/1/1773. He married Ann Goodhand in 1795. She was born in 1777 and died in 1808. JCP remarried in 1809 to Eliza Spedding. She was born 27/2/1785. I'm not certain of Eliza Spedding's death date, but I remember reading that she was buried next to her daughter Martha Caroline who died 4/11/1820 (aged 20).

I think the IGI rcord may well be incorrect - but then again knowing this part of my family I wouldn't put it past JCP to have had a bigamous marriage - his father seems to have done.

EmmaParr
30-11-2009, 6:26 PM
Sue - just noticed you first post refers to "HANINGTON Parker", whilst your second post referfs to "HARRINGTON"??

Sue Mackay
30-11-2009, 7:54 PM
Sue - just noticed you first post refers to "HANINGTON Parker", whilst your second post referfs to "HARRINGTON"??

Yes, that's what I meant when I wrote:

it would seem that the marriage I transcribed from the South African Commercial Advertiser should be for Harrington Parker, if that was his mother's maiden name.

The newspaper did say Hanington, but when I saw the IGI entry I thought they might have misread Harrington - they look very similar when printed. The IGI entry may well not be accurate. Sadly I have no knowledge of the family, I just note a few of the strays as I transcribe South African BMD notices.