PDA

View Full Version : Software

donstrigger
04-11-2009, 4:42 PM
Hi,
Can someone advise what to software to use to record my tree.
I have a copy of Family Tree Maker 2005 that I started to use a few years ago with info from the family, However I have got a lot more infomation online and need to start recording this now.
I have just found out you can get a copy of Family Tree Maker 2010 for £15 of tesco club card vouchers. This seems a good price as I see it for £50 in PC World.
Is it worth upgrading now to the 2010 and can I transfer the info from my 2005 copy easily.

Thanks PT

DBCoup
04-11-2009, 7:29 PM
There are advantages to staying with the familiar. However transferring your existing data to whatever your final choice is should not be a major problem as long as what you choose can deal with GEDCOM files
daryl

04-11-2009, 8:10 PM
First question I would ask is whether it is necessary to change? Basically, do you have any requirements which are not satisfied by the current version of FTM that you have? If the answer is no then why change?

If you do decide that you need to change please be aware that FTM 2010 (like the 2008 and 2009 versions) is a very different program from the earlier versions. In particular the charting capabilities are nowhere near as good.

Depending on what requirements are not met by 2005 then a completely different program may be more appropriate.

FTM 2010 will convert your 2005 files but unless you have multi-media items stored then conversion to another program can be achieved using Gedcom export/import.

Hope this helps rather than hinders :)

Graham

Isabel H
04-11-2009, 9:15 PM
I would agree with Graham. Only upgrade if it gives you something you didn't alreay have

donstrigger
04-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for the advice sounds like it maybe best to stick with 2005 for now.
PT

05-11-2009, 7:51 AM
As a general observation, which I forgot yesterday :)

We don't change tools like our electric drills and hairdryers simply because a new model comes out. We wait until the existing one is no longer capable of doing what we want it to (whether that be because the tool has worn out or because our requirements have changed).

Software is only a tool like any other once you get behind the sales smoke and mirrors :)

Graham

MarkJ
05-11-2009, 7:19 PM
Great analogy Graham, thanks. Another spin on "If it ain't broken ....."

Could resist, but should have.
".... electric drills and hairdryers ...." .... or wives ;)
On my way Finbar ....
daryl

:D

Grahams analogy is very good I agree! Of course, I won't comment about wives - I was in bother for my witch gag the other day ;)

Mark