PDA

View Full Version : Trezise, Sancreed 1861

Graham L
04-04-2005, 9:15 PM
Is there anybody out there with access to the 1861 census for Sancreed who wouldn't mind looking up the much travelled Joseph TREZISE (born Sancreed c.1840). His family (father James and mother Margaret) are living at Higher Drift in the '41 and '51 census but are they still here in 1861? In 1871 he is an iron ore miner in Cumberland, lodging with another Cornishman John BRAY of Gwennap (married to Amelia). Here he meets and marries Elizabeth GALL (nee WEBBER) who was born in Lelant. The family then move to the Maesteg area of South Wales (1881) where Elizabeth's mother Ann WEBBER (born in St Just) is living with them.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Graham L
(14945)

Procat
05-04-2005, 9:57 AM
Hello Graham L,

1861 census
RG 9/1597 Folio 34 Page 20 Schedule 101
Parish St Just Hamlet Carnyorth District Pebdeen

James Trezise Head Widower 57 Ag Lab Born Sancreed
William Trezise Son Unmarried 22 Tin Miner Born St Paul
Joseph Trezise Son Unmarried 20 Tin Miner Born Sancreed
Margery Trezise Daughter Unmarried 17 Born Sancreed
Thomas Trezise Son 16 Tin Miner Born Sancreed
Elizabeth Trezise Daughter 14 Tin Orr Dresser Born Sancreed
Catherine (possibly) Trezise Daughter 10 Scholar Born Sancreed

There are also the families of William Trezise 52 Born St Just and John Trezise 40 Born St Just at schedule 98 and 99 respectively.

Graham L
05-04-2005, 1:27 PM
This has been very helpful to me. According to the church marriage record of James Trezise, the father of Joseph Trezise, it says he is from the parish of St Just. Although this census along with the 1851 and subsequent ones state that he is born in Sancreed. It is interesting that, after the death of his Sancreed-born wife James Trezise takes his family to live in the St Just area which sort of backs up the church record.

The other two leads look interesting as well.

many thanks for your time

Graham

Mark
05-04-2005, 10:10 PM
The details in the marriage register pertain to the parish of residence at the time of the marriage, not the parish they were born in.

Mark

Procat
06-04-2005, 9:29 AM
Hi Graham L,

Let me know if you want the other entries.

royston
06-04-2005, 2:18 PM
Hi Graham.
Go to the following site
West Penwith Resources. Bags of info there for you.
Also try Cornish Probate. You may find some wills there.
St.Erth page and then the link to Kathy Weigels page. Lots of wills there for the area.
Hope this helps. Will be surprised if not.
Roy White

Graham L
06-04-2005, 8:18 PM
Many thanks to all of you. I shall make use of the info you have given me.

Cheers

Graham

Teresa Jenkins
01-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Hello there!

Only just discovered this site when searching for "Trezise, St Just". My grandmother's maiden name was Trezise, her father, William Trezise (brother of Joseph) having moved to Maesteg early 1860s, to take up work in the newly opened coal mines. Sadly, she died long before I was born, and I know very little of the family history but would love to find out more.

I did start trying to research into it, but time constraints limit things, as you probably know.

I know there were two families of "Trezise" living in Maesteg, and I think they moved several times, from what I've noted in the census returns. My grandmother married twice, her first husband having died as a result of a colliery accident. She had 5 or 6 children with him, and then went on to marry the "lodger", a William Francis Hughes - who only spoke Welsh and came from the Swansea valley area. They had four children, twins,one of whom died - the surviving twin being my "Aunty Gladys" who died back in 1985, a year after my father. My father, Richard, and another son of whom I know nothing, but was believed to have been admitted to an "asylum". (There were three around here then, and I'm hoping to find records of them).
I know that at least one has records of burials, but the hospital itself was demolished 10 years ago to make way for a prison.

I hope that the above is of interest to you, and that you won't be too bored!

Regards
Teresa

Graham L
05-06-2005, 2:55 PM
Hi Teresa

Sorry to be slow in getting back to you. I hadn't checked for a few days and was surprised to see the TREZISE name at the top of the list. I have got quite a bit of info on the TREZISE's in Cornwall. I will e-mail it to you.

Regards

Graham