PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Henry WARNER, mariner

BMcAleer
02-11-2009, 5:39 PM
I would like to learn about mariner records. My grandmother said the family was a seafaring family. My 2nd great grandfather Lawrence Henry Warner was baptized at Macroom, Cork, Ireland, 17 September, 1809. The family may have moved closer to the sea; according to my grandmother, he used to play on the ships as a child, and ran away to sea when he was about 14 (c1823). In 1859, on his marriage cert., at St. Thomas, Stepney, his occupation was listed as "seaman." On his daughter's birth cert 1860, his occupation was "Steward of a merchant ship." A great aunt mentioned a chest with treasures from India in the possession of his daughter. According to the aunt's account, he went to sea with his young son George after his first wife died. (His daughter Mary Sharp (Warner) Buckley was in the great fire at Chelsea, Mass., in 1908, so the treasures exist no more.)

I have 2 English marriage records and 3 birth certs and/or baptisms for his children in England, and census records for 1841 and 1861. Additionally, in the Boston, Mass, USA, 1855 state census, he is enumerated with his 2 children under the name Henry Warner. He was not always at sea, and was a cheese monger and grocer for several years (1840-1845) at 76 St. George's Road, Southwark, and had a beer shop at 18 Britannia, Lambeth in 1861. The 1861 census said he was born at Shields, England, probably not true, since I have several Irish records for the family including his baptism; but that's a good clue, I will look for Warners at Shields.

Lawrence Henry Warner, son of John Warner and Ellen Leary of Kilnamartyra and Macroom, had 6 known siblings. 5 immigrated to Boston, and one brother William Warner went to New York with his family in 1850. He had a brother John that I am unsure about, so if anyone has a John Warner unaccounted for who might match, get in touch. (Source: Wm Warner's bank account at Emigrant Savings Bank--a genealogical goldmine.)
Regards from Massachusetts,
Beth

Jan1954
02-11-2009, 5:47 PM
Hello,

You may find these TNA Research Guides (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/researchguidesindex.asp?j=1#m) to be a good starting point. Have a look at those headed up Merchant Seamen.

BMcAleer
04-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Thank you, Jan. The research guides are a help, and it looks like many of these documents are in the LDS catalog.