PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with an inmate?

julesb
02-11-2009, 5:33 PM
I have a Robert Israel (1878) who is listed in the 1911 census as an inmate at HMP in Wandsworth, how can I find out what he was in for? It's a bit strange, he was a family man with a few stints in the army so we are surprised to find him "inside!!

Any advice on where to start?

Colin Rowledge
02-11-2009, 5:47 PM
I have a Robert Israel (1878) who is listed in the 1911 census as an inmate at HMP in Wandsworth, how can I find out what he was in for? It's a bit strange, he was a family man with a few stints in the army so we are surprised to find him "inside!!

Hi
Is this your Robert? 1901 census - RG13 Piece 569 - Folio 7:
Israel, Robert - Soldier in Barracks - Single - M. - age 22 - Driver in A.S. Corps. Born Holloway, London 1879

Colin

Kerrywood
02-11-2009, 5:53 PM

Wandsworth Prison records are at the London Metropolitan Archives (ACC/3444), which offers a research service. The registers should give you the information that you want.

Kerrywood

julesb
02-11-2009, 5:53 PM
Yep, pretty sure it is, I can't even find a hint of another Robert Israel in London.... I'm so impressed with how quickly you lot can look stuff up, it took me days to find that!