PDA

View Full Version : BOND, John killed South Africa 1900

Heather Bond
01-11-2009, 4:18 PM
There is a gravestone at Christ Church, Holmer Green, Bucks with:

John BOND killed in action, South Africa June 26th 1900, age 27.

Is it possible to get more information on this?

I have looked at the usual sites but I don't see his name anywhere?

Heather

Barnzzz
01-11-2009, 8:21 PM
Hi Heather, if you google roll of honour dot com, and then go to Boer War, there are a number of casualty databases. There is a J Bond under Buckinghamshire, Coombe Hill.
Hope this helps.
Sue

Heather Bond
02-11-2009, 3:08 PM
Thanks Sue, will do.
Kind Regards,
Heather

Heather Bond
02-11-2009, 3:21 PM
Hi Sue,
Found his name, but that was all, I guess there isn't any info on John Bond?
Heather

Barnzzz
02-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi Heather, I couldn't find anything else unfortunately!

pennydog
02-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Have you looked on the census for John Bond born Buckinghamshire.
1881 has only one (ref RG11/1467/52/13)
Thomas Bond head 1837 Born Hughenden Bucks, 4 sons including John, 1 daughter, all born Little Missenden, Bucks.
1891 the same family (ref RG12/1141/59/10) John is still at home working as a farmers son. The address is Cottage, The Green, Little Missenden, HOMER GREEN, Bucks.

Could be your man?

Heather Bond
03-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Hi Penny,
I appreciate your research on my John Bond.
I was trying to find out how he got killed in the Boar War.
Most rolls give an account of where the fellows were
fighting etc. I can't find anything on my John Bond.
Kind Regards,
Heather

SueNSW
03-11-2009, 1:56 AM
Hi Heather

There is a Trooper John Bond (No 6391) in 35th Company (Middlesex) 11th Battalion of the Imperial Yeomanry who appears to have been a casualty.

His death certificate can be ordered from the GRO using the reference - GRO NATAL & S.AFRICAN FORCES DEATHS (1899 to 1902) and page 304. It is listed as J Bond 11 Imperial Yeomanry. I'm not sure how much info it will give you but hopefully the date of death will enable you to confirm if he is the same man commemorated on the gravestone

I've done no Boer War research - but the NA appears to have 165 boxes of records under ref WO128 that might help

"These are the attestation and discharge documents from the War Office of men who enrolled in the Imperial Yeomanry during the South African War.
The documents contain details of each man's place of birth, age and occupation and a full record of his service."

WO129 also "These Imperial Yeomanry records from the War Office consist of registers, casualty books and a nominal roll of officers who served in South Africa, 1899 to 1902."

This research guide gives some details - scroll down to No 4 - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=147

There is an interesting description of the IY here - http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/iyhistory.html

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers
Sue

ladysmith
03-11-2009, 1:52 PM
Heather - 6391 Trooper John Bond, 35th (Middlesex) Company Imperial Yeomanry, was killed in action at Lilliefontein, near Senekal, 26 June 1900. He is buried at Senekal Cemetery but his grave has no marker although his name appears on the cemetery memorial.

He was entitled to the Queen's South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony and Wittebergen.

His attestation and service papers survive in series WO 128 at the National Archives at Kew.

David

Heather Bond
04-11-2009, 1:37 AM
Hi You All,

I'm very grateful for the information that has been given me on
my John Bond. I will pass this information on to the other members
of our family.

Heather Bond