PDA

View Full Version : Zulu Wars

Debbie99
29-10-2009, 7:53 PM
Hi
I hope this is the correct forum to ask this question. This seems to be an excellent site for Zulu war queries.
In the 1861 census George Slight was a drummer boy in the Militia Barracks at Hampstead.
By 1871 George was with his brother William Slight in the Chester Castle Barracks, they were privates in the 4th foot.
In 1875 George's daughter Alice was born in Ireland where he was stationed.
By 1881 both brothers were back in England George was in Aldershot and William living in London.
I know that George was in the Zulu wars. He was a musician, I am not sure if he was still in the 4th foot. If he was why would he have gone back to England and not to India.
Is there anywhere a list of soliders who fought on the British side in the Zulu wars?
Did the soldiers families (not officers) ever accompany them to South Africa?
I live in New Zealand so the web is the best place to hunt down information. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Regards Deb

stickymone
29-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Hi Debbie,

Have a look at the Nominal Rolls on Kevin Asplins site here http://www.britishmedals.us/kevin/nominal.html
If you look under 1870's Discharges you might find your man.

I suspect you will need to contact Kevin for extra info but at least it's a possible

Stickymone

Geoffers
30-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Records relating to Army service for this period are not available online, there is a project to scan the documents electronically and make them available on a pay-per-view site by 2011. See this TNA news item (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/stories/212.htm)

ladysmith
30-10-2009, 8:47 AM
Deb - I've checked the 4th Foot roll but he's not listed. He may have transferred to another regiment or corps in the meantime.

David

Debbie99
31-10-2009, 7:45 AM
Thankyou very much for the replies you have posted. David would you be so kind as to let me know whether you mean he was never in the 4th foot or do you mean during the time of the Zulu wars.
Stickmone I have been in touch with Kevin. He confirmed that William the brother was in the 4th foot (discharged before the Zulu wars) however the George Slight in his discharge records was in the Grenadier Guards and discharged in 1878, so not mine.
I am fairly confident that George Slight did serve in the Zulu Wars, I can't seem to find the right regiment. An interseting aside I am unable to find him in the 1871 census. He was serving in Ireland several years later.
Regards & thanks Deb

ladysmith
31-10-2009, 12:27 PM
Deb - He's not on roll for the South Africa General Service Medal 1877-79 which covers the Zulu War of 1879.

David

Debbie99
01-11-2009, 1:44 AM
David
Thanks. It is back to the drawing board with George Slight. Whoever wrote his son's obituary was obviously not letting the facts get in the way of a good story.
Regards Deb

ladysmith
01-11-2009, 2:16 PM
Deb - To avoid any confusion I should clarify that he's not on the 4th Foot's medal roll for the Zulu War. He may possibly be on another regiment's roll. However, the rolls are arranged firstly by regiment, then by rank and finally by name so it would be a lengthy task to wade through all the Zulu War medal rolls for all the units present to check this.

David

Debbie99
02-11-2009, 6:32 PM
David
Would you be so kind as to answer this question. In the 1881 census George was living in Edwards St Aldershot with his family. He gave his occupation as musician . Would he have still been in the army? All my mother and uncle know about him was that he spent most of his working life in the army and was supposedly a band conductor. The reason I am asking is to try and eliminate the George Slight on Kevin's discharge list. I am trying to work backwards towards the Zulu wars. Nothing surprises me in the search for missing ancesters. Regards Deb

ladysmith
03-11-2009, 1:46 PM
Deb - I'm not entirely sure. I would have thought that a serving soldier would have given his occupation as such rather than as a musician but maybe this wasn't the case. Aldershot was the HQ of the British army so he may have been living off base in married quarters or equally may have left the army by that time. Sorry I can't be more enlightening.

David

Graves1879
01-01-2010, 5:46 PM
Hi Deb

I have found a G Slight serving in the 4th Regiment during the Zulu War. Please PM me for further details.