PDA

View Full Version : BT scams?

busyglen
28-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Has anybody else received an email advising that their accounts are not up-to-date please?

We receive our phone bill on-line, and there has never been any problems accessing it. Payment is DD from the bank. This morning there was an email advising that due to a problem, they cannot access our account and asking us to `click on the link' (which has an hpps. start similar to the security code) and asking us to correct the details.

Now....I am a very watchful person regarding the internet and believe this to be a scam and have not clicked on the link. Has anyone else had a similar email? If so, I think it prudent to mention it for others to watch out for.

Glenys

MarkJ
28-10-2009, 11:21 AM
When in doubt, don't click the linky :)
Sounds like you have done the right thing there Glen! I would ring them if concerned about a possible issue with any payments - but no way would I click the link.

Good idea to raise it on the forum - others may receive similar emails.

Mark

Jan1954
28-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi Glen,

Look up the correct email address for BT via your account and forward it to them. There should be a contact whereby you can report suspect emails. If it is pukka, then they will reply accordingly. If not, they really like to know about these things. ;)

Pamelawagster
28-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Definately sounds like a scam! I never reply to anything like this on line, I always report it as a phishing scam. If they are genuine they will contact you by mail. I have had loads of these in different guises!

Recently somebody had hacked into my husbands email account, took his list of contacts and then sent emails asking for money to be paid into a Western Union account as he was seriously ill and needed it to pay for treatment!!We found out when people started ringing us to ask if he was dying!! Fortunately friends and family know we would never ask for money!!
These scammers will try anything!

busyglen
28-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks so much Bo. I thought this was the case, but wanted to bring it to others attention if it was a scam It's the first one I've seen from them.

They get everywhere nowadays!

Glenys

esdel
28-10-2009, 1:10 PM
I had similar scams and emailed BT warning them.
I was ignored. Trouble with BT is the Tech Support are a different company to the providers. The easiest way for us to distinguish is call one Mumbai and the other Commercial.
esdel

lesleys
28-10-2009, 3:39 PM
we just had the same one - luckily gmail automatically filed it as spam, no need to even look at it.

Nicolina
28-10-2009, 4:37 PM
thanks for the warning Glen, I've just forwarded it to "the cousins" because I know several of them are with BT.

Neil Wilson
28-10-2009, 7:56 PM
This spam as been going around for months, BT are not even interested as they originate outside of the UK and there is nothing they can due (the senders IP changes too often for them to pin the senders down).

Another one from BT - 2 online bills, both exactly the same email and links.

And another - for non BT customers, a friend was high-jacked from his provider to BT as a result of a cold call. It took him a couple of weeks to get back to his original provider.

busyglen
28-10-2009, 8:07 PM
Thanks again all of you, I appreciate your comments.

I didn't open the link and deleted it anyway, especially when I saw a spelling mistake as well. It's the first time I've seen one from BT.

I am usually very careful in these situations, which is why I queried this one.

Thanks. :)

Glenys

Barnzzz
28-10-2009, 8:41 PM
I've recently been warned about a similar scam by phone. A man rings and says he's fom BT and that your account is in arrears, if you don't bring it up to date he will disconnect the phone.

So that you can tell he's genuine, he offers to hang up and let you make a call. He'll disable your phone so you can't make the call and this will prove he's from BT. He'll then call you back and take your card details to bring the account up to date.

I was told that when you try to make this call you can't get connected. I can only think that he doesn't hang up properly!

Sue

Frank W
29-10-2009, 1:29 AM
Has anybody else received an email advising that their accounts are not up-to-date please?

We receive our phone bill on-line, and there has never been any problems accessing it. Payment is DD from the bank. This morning there was an email advising that due to a problem, they cannot access our account and asking us to `click on the link' (which has an hpps. start similar to the security code) and asking us to correct the details.

Now....I am a very watchful person regarding the internet and believe this to be a scam and have not clicked on the link. Has anyone else had a similar email? If so, I think it prudent to mention it for others to watch out for.

Glenys

Hi Glen

This is a scam which the Herts Neighbourhood Watch have warned their members about. When operated by telephone, the victim is told that their line will be cut off, and if challenged for proof the scammer will
tell the victim to hang up and then try to make an outgoing call.
Since the caller is still holding the scam call open, there will be no dial tone on the line if the victim follows this suggestion, but things will be back to normal when the incoming scam call is cleared down.
If the email link is clicked it just connects you to the scammer.

If you are presented with a link to click, ignore the name on the link, but hover the mouse cursor over it and you may see at the bottom of your screen where it would actually take you. BUT DON'T CLICK ON IT!!
Regards.........Frank W

busyglen
29-10-2009, 2:52 PM
Thanks Frank. This has also been mentioned by another forum member, so I am pleased that at least everyone should be aware of this now. Strangely enough, I received the same email again today, which was quickly deleted without a backward glance! ;

Glenys