PDA

View Full Version : Josephine Tey-The Daughter of Time

auburn
26-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I've just finished reading this again (first read it aged 14-a very long time ago so it seemed new this time round!)

It's written as a detective novel, but has a real relevance for family history researchers -it focuses on doing real research from original records and also touches on the way we all get obsessed with our researches (you all know exactly what I mean by that!)

Oh and I forgot to mention it is a really enjoyable book! Published in 1951,
it has the hero smoking in a hospital bed and people being "gay" in the old sense of the word!

(Josephine Tey's most famous novel was The Franchise Affair -another good one-there was a film & TV series)

Auburn

MythicalMarian
26-10-2009, 1:37 PM
Auburn, that's one of my all time faves - it is still on my shelves, and as it's only a short novel I take it down from time to time and re-read it. I'm a Richard III fan anyway, so the book has a double appeal to me.

Hollytree
26-10-2009, 1:49 PM
I haven't read Josephine Tey, tho' I must have heard of her. But as I read the post I got to think about a book I read as a fourteen year old girl (ah how long ago?) and remembered 'September Moon' by John Moore. It was the only book of his that I read, and it is a wonderful tale of life in Hereford countryside post WW2, and when I drive through that countryside I still see Sollars hill and look for the oast houses that no longer exist. It's a tale of hop picking in September(obviously) and the gypsys, Welsh girls, that invade a small village and the lives and loves and fights that happen. john Moor was a countryman, had a hand in the Three Choirs Festival (I think) and loved his county.

Anne

auburn
26-10-2009, 1:51 PM
Glad to find another fan!
Perhaps it's time I re-read some of her other novels

Regards
Auburn

AnnB
26-10-2009, 1:59 PM
That takes me back :)

I've just had a rummage and found my paperback copy (looking a little the worse for wear).....so, it looks like I might be re-reading it before too long :)

Thanks for the reminder
Ann (another Richard III fan)

Thomasin
26-10-2009, 2:16 PM
Me too (Richard III fan, I mean). Have you ever read 'Some Touch of Pity' by Rhoda Edwards? The book is admirably and exhaustively researched, historically accurate (as far as possible) and beautifully written.

Thomasin

MythicalMarian
26-10-2009, 4:30 PM
Another snippet on Josephine - she also wrote under the pseudonym of Gordon Daviot, and produced a play 'Richard of Bordeaux' about another much maligned king, Richard II.

My Mum was an avid fan of her mystery novels, so I was brought up with her in a way :D

ETA: Thomasin - I haven't read that one - I will pursue it.

AnnB
26-10-2009, 5:58 PM
Me too (Richard III fan, I mean). Have you ever read 'Some Touch of Pity' by Rhoda Edwards? The book is admirably and exhaustively researched, historically accurate (as far as possible) and beautifully written.

Thomasin
Yes, and Fortune's Wheel - I don't think there are many Richard III novels I haven't read :)

Best wishes
Ann

spison
26-10-2009, 8:54 PM
I can also remember reading a "A daughter of Time" at about the age of 14. It's a persuasive read regarding Richard but...

Jane

Barnzzz
26-10-2009, 9:17 PM
I read this when I was at school and I remember it as being one of the first books I got out of the 'grown up' bit of the library.
Sue