PDA

View Full Version : A QUICK family in 1861 census or anywhere

Judy M
02-04-2005, 9:18 PM
The family of Edward(Edwin) QUICK farrier have me completely stumped! I wondered if some kind forum member might be able to help me out with a check of the 1861 census index.

Edward QUICK farrier born ?
Wife Isabella QUICK nee PEARSON b abt 1818
Dau Elizabeth b abt 1854 (London--nice & vague!)

The only record I have found for the whole family, is that of the death of Edward's wife, Isabella QUICK at 5 John Street, Grovener Mews, St Geo Hanover Sq., London on 31 Jan 1866 and daughter Elizabeth's marriage cert in Australia where she gives her parent's names.(in 1872) I have been unsuccessful in finding a birth registration for Elizabeth.

Any help appreciated!

Judy M
08-04-2005, 8:17 PM
Thanks Chris
I've tried 1837 online...no luck. Does anyone know if S & N index is more complete?
Judy

Rod Neep
08-04-2005, 8:43 PM
The 1837 Online index of the 1961 London Census is complete, whereas the S & N one isn't yet.

As usual, one of the problems of indexes is that a) the enumerator may not have recorded the exact same spelling in his books, and b) there are always some indexing errors too.

One has to be creative in one's searches, and as the 1837 Online search offers more options than any other, then that is the one to go for. The only other option is to search though all the original pages yourself, as your name tends to jump out of the page easily, no matter how bad the handwriting, or weird the spelling.

regards
Rod

Frank W
08-04-2005, 9:18 PM
The S & N website currently advertises: London 1861 Census Name Index v4 Complete