PDA

View Full Version : warnchen/warncker/warncken family

faye
22-10-2009, 11:05 AM
i have just recently started traing my family tree.my grandmother suzanne hills nee rockels grandmother was margaret ada rockel nee warncken.she lived in mile end old town london.her parents were geroge h warncken and harriet kendal
goerge was born in 1846 in limehouse london the son of george warncker and sarah a biner,george was the son of gedrich warnchen born in germany in 1786(poss bermen)i have heard through fmily that the family were jewish ,i would love to hear from anyone else tracing this same family.and i would also like any ideas on how i could go about finding this information out!

Kerrywood
22-10-2009, 1:45 PM
my grandmother suzanne hills nee rockels grandmother was margaret ada rockel nee warncken.she lived in mile end old town london.her parents were geroge h warncken and harriet kendal
goerge was born in 1846 in limehouse london the son of george warncker and sarah a biner,george was the son of gedrich warnchen born in germany in 1786(poss bermen)i have heard through fmily that the family were jewish

Hi Faye,

I can see only one marriage for a Sarah Ann BINER in the GRO index in the right timeframe, in Bethnal Green in 1844. Ancestry's database of London marriages offers this:

St John, Bethnal Green
17 March 1844
Christian Warncken, full age, bachelor, Carpenter, 24 Thomas's St. Father - Gedrich Warncken, Farmer.
Sarah Ann Biner, full age, spinster, 21 Jane St. Father - George Biner, Cook
After banns, both signed
Witnesses - George Biner, Harriet Sophia Biner

Christian WARNCKEN is found in Pennington Place, St George in the East, in 1861, with several children including George H. WARNCKEN, aged 14.
RG9; Piece: 275; Folio: 7; Page: 14
Christian is said to be born Germany about 1814.

This is a bit confusing, since you say above that Sarah Ann BINER was married to George WARNCKER. :confused:

Is this the line you're researching? If so, you will probably want to focus on German origins rather than Jewish ones. It would be extremely unlikely for Jewish parents to name a child Christian in 1814.

Admittedly they may have been converts, or Christian might have changed his name from something else, but in your shoes I would want to explore the German side first. ;)

The Anglo-German Family History Society might be able to suggest in which areas of Germany this surname is mainly found (google for their website). :)

Kerrywood