PDA

View Full Version : Help ! B-G Forum pages strange & I can't post

ET in the USA
18-10-2009, 11:54 PM
For some unknown reason, the B-G Forum pages on my computer [I'm on someone else's now] have the following problems:
+ Smilies don't work when creating a post or reply.
+I can't post. When I try I get an error message something like "Posts must be more than 5 characters" & the message has all gone away. The attempted posts have been much longer than 5 characters.
+The arrows indicating drop down menus beside <Search>, <Quick Links>, etc. are gone & no drop down menu appears.

We installed a Western Digital Passport back up device on all 3 computers, 2 have Vista and 1 XP, but only mine is having problems.
Ths key to the problem is probably that the message in the lower left corner says "Done with errors" when I am on the B-G forum page & then when I look at the errors, there is something about Yahoo in each of the descriptions.
|help| I don't know what to do. |computer|

Elaine

Ladkyis
19-10-2009, 12:25 AM
but you have posted...

MarkJ
19-10-2009, 12:40 AM
but you have posted...

Elaine did post, but she did state - "For some unknown reason, the B-G Forum pages on my computer [I'm on someone else's now] "

So presumably the issue is with her computer?

Finbars "reboot" suggestion is what I would try first. Perhaps the installing of new software has caused a bit of a glitch...

Mark

esdel
19-10-2009, 6:18 AM
Yes try restart and (certainly on XP) try "System Restore" - my usual saviour! (It time-travels you back to when it DID work)

But last week the whole thing went crazy - refused to start Windows! Just a blue screen typical Gates 1/10 second unreadable stuff.
We checked EVERYTHING. Even removed the c drive and checked it seperately - PERFECT
Then we put it all back together again and it worked perfectly!!!

Ladkyis
19-10-2009, 1:02 PM
as my dad used to say through gritted teeth

"inanimate objects! they'll kill you, you know"

busyglen
19-10-2009, 2:33 PM
as my dad used to say through gritted teeth

"inanimate objects! they'll kill you, you know"
Too true Ladkyis!

I've spent half the afternoon trying to get my printer to work! I inserted a new cartridge, and it came up with an error.....I did everthing over and over again to check it and it still wouldn't work. Eventually I said `s.. it' and put it back in for the last time and guess what? It worked! I will add though, that the alignment is now not correct, and even re-aligning it doesn't make much difference. Oh well....probably the darn cartridge! I've given up for the day! |nutkick|

Glenys

ET in the USA
19-10-2009, 3:35 PM
OH - I fixed it ! :confused:

Re-boot didn't work - tried several times.

Turning it off for the night - didn't work.

The new AVG 9.0 free package has Identity Guard, etc & one of the little icons on the new toolbar that I don't want [I mean - how many toolbars do you need anyway? I won't have any screen room left soon!], if right clicked, has a drop down menu to delete a bunch of stuff ...
Delete Complete History
Delete Search History
Delete Download History
Delete Cookies
Delete Browser History

You never get to see what is in these 'histories' & I was so fed up with it all that I randomly clicked on Download - so I deleted Download History. I have no idea what that is, or what it did, but B-G forum was normal immediately after without even a re-boot.

Anyone have any idea what I just deleted ? Was it important & will it bite me somewhere else because it has been deleted ? Stay tuned. |computer|
Elaine

v.wells
19-10-2009, 3:51 PM
You just deleted old pages that you visited in your browser, cookies - which are pc identification. Don't worry about it Elaine - you have not harmed anything! You are restored back to normal! :D

pattenwalsh
19-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Hi Elaine.

You've probably already tried this so apologies in advance, but have you tried rebooting the computer?
I had an almost identical problem with Google pages of all things, earlier tonight - buttons and links missing from the pages, etc.
Switching off and booting up again seemed to solve it.

Google has had this problem for a week now and if you close your browser window and the open a new one it is back to how it should be,no need to re-boot and nothing wrong with your PC.