Carmy
15-10-2009, 2:37 AM
Married Martha Griffiths on 12 September 1832 in
Laugharne, Carmarthenshire, Wales.

Edward's occupation shown as "silk".

Pam Downes
15-10-2009, 3:50 AM
Thank you Carmy. Interesting. :)
I presume this is the Edward who in 1851 is living in Dogdyke Lincs with wife Martha born Carmarthenshire Laugharne, and six children. As Edward is an Ag Lab, I wonder where the 'silk' came from?
1851 census ref HO107/2099 folio 728 page 9
Pam

Geoffers
15-10-2009, 7:01 AM
I wonder where the 'silk' came from?

Unless it is a different Edward Smith who was (then) a King's Council?

arthurk
15-10-2009, 4:14 PM
I'm wondering if it really is an occupation. Could it be an attempt at Silk Willoughby, a village about 2 miles SW of Sleaford?

Arthur

Pam Downes
15-10-2009, 4:41 PM
I'm wondering if it really is an occupation. Could it be an attempt at Silk Willoughby, a village about 2 miles SW of Sleaford?

Arthur
By George (or should that be 'By Arthur'? :D ) I think he's got it!
Thinking about, it wasn't usual to include occupations in those days, though I believe that Welsh registers (non-conformist??) have a different lay-out to English ones. (Bit vague on the lay-out thing as I only saw one Welsh register once for a few seconds but I think it was for the 1840s anyway.)
In the 1851 census Edward says he was born Quarrington which is 'next door' to Silk Willoughby.
Pam

Carmy
16-10-2009, 4:38 PM
Arthur's right! I just came in to post that I found out it was Willoughby and found you'd already learned of my error.

Pam is also right--Welsh registers are hell. I'm lucky because I come in at the second stage transcription. Some place-name spellings have to be seen to be believed. I put an * on the name and make a note of the correct spelling. I just hope it helps somebody down the road.