PDA

View Full Version : One more - specially for Mutley

carolchipp
14-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Since you're having such fun, I thought you might like these. I have absolutely no idea who they are, other than being from Mum's side of the family (the one in the bottom left looks a bit gormless, I think).
These, and the others I've posted, are the result of a weekend trip to UK to visit my mother. I just wish people had made a note of who they were at the time - but I suppose they already knew so they didn't need to. Anyway, I'm still delighted to have them.
Enjoy!
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac276/carolchipp/unknownmumsfamily.jpg

carolchipp
14-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Just noticed, top left pic is the same photographer as the first little girl I posted - and by the look of it, the same chair. Perhaps taken on the same day as the eras seem to match.

Mutley
15-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Thank you Carol, I am so envious, mine do not go back prior to the 1920s, probably why I am so fascinated.

Hard to concentrate on four pictures, they are all clouded with a green tinge. ;)

The two on the left must be 1860s. The vast crinoline, the chignon that revealed the ears, the dropped sleeves.

The two on the right, a bit later, in the late 1860, early 1870s. More narrow skirt, flat at the front drawing towards the back and a bustle. The frilled front to the blouse. Narrower sleeves.

From about the middle 1860s the pendant drop earrings became fashionable and hairstyles more complicated so the top right is probably the latest.

You are so lucky even if you don't know who they are. But that would be a bonus wouldn't it?

margarita
15-10-2009, 7:38 AM
Carol,

The clothing and particularly he hairstyle in the first photograph looks remarkably similar to a photograph which we have of my husband's Great Grandmother.

It is one of a pair of her and her (future) husband which we believe were taken to mark their wedding in 1866.

Regards,

maggie

spison
16-10-2009, 8:48 PM
Could the top left and the bottom right be of the same lady?

Jane

Ladkyis
16-10-2009, 9:01 PM
I love that the two pictures on the right are the identical pose even though what they are leaning on is different.

Hugh Thompson
17-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Looks like no's1,2 and 4 are sisters and number 3 could also be, just a guess but they all have the same nose.
Hugh.:)

carolchipp
17-10-2009, 12:26 AM
[QUOTE=Hugh Thompson;335265]Looks like no's1,2 and 4 are sisters and number 3 could also be, just a guess but they all have the same nose.
Hugh.:)[/QUOTE

I think they are almost certainly sisters (there were a lot of them) and distinctive noses run in the family - no pun intended. Unfortunately for my generation we inherited our noses from another branch which I only realised when I saw a picture of my great grandmother. It skipped two generations and reappeared on myself and my sisters!! I did wonder if the bottom two are the same person a few years apart.
I think this lady is top left in later life
http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac276/carolchipp/sarah.jpg

Colin Rowledge
17-10-2009, 12:48 AM
I may be well off-base as it is fairly late here, but at the bottom of photo #4 is the notation 'Fishergate & Church St.. Preston". When Googling that it took me to T.N.A. and the photo's of Charles. Holden.

There are about 250 photo's held in the Greater Manchester County Records Office attributed to Charles Holden. Maybe, he was the photographer for these 4 photo's.

If I'm in error I apologize now

Colin

kenmac
25-10-2009, 9:41 PM
I was on the same path as the previous contributor. I noticed that with the address was the photographer's name - Monk. This also took me to the National Archives and a collection of photos relating to a Mr Joseph Rollins apparently taken from 1904 onwards. One of these photos refers to a photograher Jno Monk of Grand Imperial Studios, 135A Church Street, Preston. The photograph was apparently of Mr Rollins aunt with her fiance, subsequently killed in the First War prior to their nuptials. This suggests that the Monk studios were operating into the 20th century and may perhaps give a lead on the photos age.

The actual wording relating to the photo is quoted below

"Aunty Lucy Coward with the man she was to marry who was later killed in World War I. She never married. The same happened to her sister Maggie Photographer: Jno Monk, Grand Imperial Studios. 135A Church Street, Preston"