PDA

View Full Version : Dentists - When were they first registered ?

chrisj1961
14-10-2009, 8:43 PM
I'm researching my friend's family and have found that both his grandfather and uncle were dentists in the 1911 census. However, in the 1901 census, one of these was a "druggists assistant" and the other one was at school. They both set up together in Leeds in 1908.

I find it strange that one who was a "druggists assistant" in 1901 could, within 10 years become a Dentist and dental anaesthetist and the other, who was 16 at the time could become a dentist so quickly.

I have had a look in the Dental Surgeon's register of 1925 and cannot find either. Does anybody know when dentists were first required to be registered and where would I be likely to find these records ?

Many thanks in advance.

Jan1954
14-10-2009, 8:52 PM
The Dentist Register was started in 1879 as a result of the first Dentists Act of 1878. This was the first legislation which aimed to restrict dental treatment and advice to be given only by qualified dentists.

If you visit the British Dental Association website (have a google), they have the history on their museum page.

They should also be able to help you track down any records. :)

Edit: Before you ask, I currently have a family connection to dentistry.....

Mutley
14-10-2009, 9:04 PM
There is a separate association for Dental Anaesthe (http://www.dentalanaesthesia.org.uk/)tists. I would imagine their qualifications were different.

I have a dentist back in the early 1800s, in those days you could just set up shop. Many dentists then were the local barbers. I am sure I remember reading that early deaths and suicides were common due to the materials used for fillings.