PDA

View Full Version : More date issues

Mike B
14-10-2009, 8:02 PM
Hi again

I have another problem with dates

In Excel I have the date 21-Apr. Unfortunately with the Dating problems of Excel the cell states that 21/04/2008 is entered. Shame really because it is supposed to be 1815.

Obviously I could just correct this problem Manually. However I have hundreds of dates that I would have to do the same to.

I'll try cut and paste special, don't hold your breath folks. |banghead|

Any ideas.

Mike B
14-10-2009, 8:44 PM
OK. I have managed to sort this out even if it does require c&p, replace and more c&p using both Excel and Word. Still better that having to write out each one.

Phew.

busyglen
15-10-2009, 8:12 AM
It's great when you can sort out your own question isn't it? Well done.

Perhaps someone will come up with an easier option. ;)

Glenys

Peter Goodey
15-10-2009, 8:33 AM
I'm led to believe that the OpenOffice spreadsheet, Calc, doesn't suffer from Excel's date problem. Calc opens and saves Excel files quite happily and has a similar range of functions. Also - it's free! Perhaps worth checking out?

David Benson
15-10-2009, 9:21 AM
Although I'm not an Excel user, I thought that if you format the cell as 'text' then it will show exactly what you enter. Right click on the cell to change it's format or do a complete column if that's what you want.

Peter Goodey
15-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I've reread the question and wonder if it's simply a formatting problem. I take it to mean that 21-Apr is held internally as if it were 21 Apr 2008. Do you not have the year in a separate column? If so, do you not simply need to format the column so that it displays as 21 Apr or however you want it?

I've probably got the wrong end of the stick.

Mike B
15-10-2009, 4:14 PM
Ive managed to sort out the problem using the concantate mode and adding the date. so its a one step job now.