PDA

View Full Version : Ancestors in the Alsace Region

harbourlady99
13-10-2009, 7:03 PM
I am trying to trace some of my relatives in the Alsace area, from a town/village called Biblesbruck, Beblenheim or something very similar. The family name is Godchaux, Gotschaux or similar. In particular Joseph born 1831 and his brother Issac b. 1829. Their parents were I believe Jeannette Behr and Guetschly Gotschaux. If anyone was able to help at all it would be wonderful.Thank you

pottoka
13-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Have you tried looking up any of these town names to try to find out if they actually exist, are in Alsace and how they should be spelt?

It's quite easy. You write the supposed name into your search engine, add Alsace and possibly France, and click on search.

MarkJ
13-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Beblenheim is a region in the Haut-Rhin department in Alsace, so I suspect that is the place you are after.

Mark

harbourlady99
15-10-2009, 8:29 AM
I have tried googling the name I was given and came up with a blank. I also came up with Beblenheim as nearly the only possiblity. One of the other children in the family was born in reichsoffen, is that anywhere near to Beblenheim?
Harriet

harbourlady99
18-10-2009, 1:19 PM
It turns out to be Bliesbruck after all. But looking at the various sites there does not seem to be much data on the Alsace area at all. Any ideas?

Sue Mackay
18-10-2009, 1:52 PM
My geography of France is appalling but the IGI for France (enter region as Continental Europe, then France) has several GODCHAUX entries in the region of Verdun sur Meuse and Strasbourg

harbourlady99
20-10-2009, 6:19 PM
What site am I on to put in the IGI for France?
Thanks

Sue Mackay
20-10-2009, 6:37 PM
What site am I on to put in the IGI for France?
Thanks

familysearch.org site exactly as if you are searching the IGI for the UK, but in the Region box put Continental Europe instead of British Isles. Once that region is ticked you can enter France as the Country.

harbourlady99
25-10-2009, 8:32 PM
Thank you for that. Some useful info but not relevant to my ancestors unfortunately. But a useful site no the less. Thank you

harbourlady99
01-11-2009, 8:50 PM
I am looking to find someone who might be able to help me with a small problem. I would very much like to obtain a wedding certificate for one of my ancestors fom the Bliesbruck area of Alsace/Moselle circa 1813. Is there anyone who might be able to help? I also would like to obtain a birth certificate for someone born in Lohr in 1794. I know this is a bit cheeky but I think if I have these it might enable me to untangle the ancestors.
Thanks