PDA

View Full Version : Capt J Williams K.I.A. 1900

Orielbenfro
13-10-2009, 3:03 PM
As my Pembrokeshire Military Headstone 1722 ~ 2006 database tops the 2,000 mark, I continue to be able to add large amounts of information to the stories behind the headstones from many and varied sources.
However I have just come across a reference on a headstone to one Captain J. Williams of the Welch Regiment who was killed at Drietfontein S.A. 10th March 1900. Is anyone able to amplify the details on this gentleman for me.
Rgds
Orielbenfro

Geoffers
13-10-2009, 4:22 PM
You might try the angloboerwar.com web-site which an increasing number of records; Kevin Asplin's site now on Britishmedals.us/kevin/intro.htm

The London Gazette may include a mention of his death, possibly in a despatch on the battle.

ladysmith
14-10-2009, 7:54 AM
This is a strange one.

Driefontein was a major action for 1/Welsh who, with 1/Essex, took the Boer position with a bayonet charge. Both battalions sustained many casualties.

However, there is no mention of a Captain Williams, of any initial and as any type of casualty, in the casualty roll. Neither is he mentioned in 'In Memoriam' which lists all British and Dominion service personnel who died in the Boer War of any cause. The casualty roll isn't 100% accurate but 'In Memoriam' usually picks up anyone missed off the casualty roll. Moreover, it would be even more unusual for an officer to be missed off either, let alone both.

I also wonder why he has a headstone, as opposed to a memorial, in the UK when he supposedly died in South Africa. In those days men who died on service were buried where they died. Bodies weren't returned to the UK for burial.

All a bit of a mystery.

David

daggers
14-10-2009, 5:06 PM
There are many instances of headstones recording the lives of those who are not buried there - helpful for those who seek the information, but confusing if not made clear.

Geoffers
14-10-2009, 7:44 PM
This might be your chap's promotion (http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/1898-01-01;1900-10-31/all=williams+welsh+regiment/start=11)from Lieutenant to Captain in 1898 - it at least provides a battalion.

Orielbenfro
15-10-2009, 9:03 AM
when he supposedly died in South Africa.

I am not quite sure what you are insinuating in your quotes either against Capt J. Williams or me personally.
I have a good number of headstones which I have researched, from the mid 1700's to 2006 that mention the deaths and burials of fathers, brothers, sons, etc etc in far away places from drownings in Rio to the Afgan wars thro the Boer Wars, World wars plus most other major and minor conflicts and experditions where we as a country always seem to want to stick our nose into.
Your response just adds another headstone to my query list where the information given on the headstone appears to be in conflict or is an ommison by the authorities, WW1 being a prime offender.
Capt Williams will remain with a question mark against him and I will move on to research some of the other over 2,000 headstone and memorials in my collection of Pembrokeshire and the borders with other counties to reveal some absolutely fascinating events that lie behind the headstones.
Rgds
Orielbenfro

ladysmith
15-10-2009, 9:28 AM
I am not quite sure what you are insinuating in your quotes either against Capt J. Williams or me personally.

I am insinuating nothing against either you or Captain Williams and am both astonished and insulted that you suggest I am. I was only trying to help. I checked the sources I have to hand and advised you of the lack of any mention of Captain Williams in either of them. I did conclude that this is all a bit of a mystery which it undoubtedly is.

May I suggest you contact the Welch Regiment Museum in Cardiff who may be able to clarify Captain Williams's service and death at Driefontein.

ladysmith
15-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I've checked other Driefontein references none of which mention Captain Williams. The only officer of the Welsh Regiment shown as killed in action at Driefontein is Captain Lomax although 2/Lt Wimberley is shown as having died of wounds a few days later.

The Welch Regiment Museum account of the battle:

On the 10th March a strong force of Boers barred the way at Driefontein posted on the heights. The 1st Battalion were ordered to storm the heights, whilst the Yorkshires and the Essex moved round on either flank. The ground was bare, and afforded no cover. The advance was made fifty yards at a time under heavy fire. Two more battalions were thrown into the fight, and eventually the whole line fixed bayonets and charged. The Boers fled to their horses and disappeared, our cavalry failing to round them up. In this action the Battalion lost 140 men, amongst them the Adjutant, Captain DAN Lomax, who had behaved with the greatest gallantry.

The Angloboerwar.com website's list of officer casualties for Driefontein:

Driefontein
Eustace, Captain Alexander Rowland, 2nd Battalion East Kent Regiment (The Buffs)
Lomax, Captain David Alexander Napier, Welsh Regiment
MacCartie, Captain Charles F, CIE, adjutant Kitchener's Horse
Parsons, Lieutenant Francis Newton, VC, Essex Regiment
Umphelby, Lieutenant Colonel C E E, Australian Artillery
Wimberley, 2nd Lieutenant Charles Francis Irvine, 2nd Battalion Welsh Regiment

Captain Williams is also not shown in 'The Last Post' by Mildred Dooner which is considered the definitive list of British and Colonial officers who died in the Boer War. He may have been inadvertently omitted but he's also omitted from the casualty roll and 'In Memoriam' and is not mentioned in any account of the battle I have read, even those specifically relating to the role of 1/Welsh.

As I said previously, all a bit of a mystery.

Geoffers
15-10-2009, 10:27 AM
There is a J WILLIAMS of the Welsh regiment in the army Natal deaths index. This is presumably the same man.

Does the headstone actually mention that he died in the battle, or could he have been wounded and subsequently died? A copy of the certificate that appers to relate to your chap may clarify things?

Orielbenfro
16-10-2009, 8:58 AM
Captain D.A.N. Lomax is commemorated at Manorbier Pembrokeshire. My very limited research shows he was a Captain and Adj of the Welsh Regt. He was born in 1868 and baptised 17 Sept 1868 at St Pauls in Bury in Lancashire the son of John & Mary Lomax a retired Cotton Spinner, who at one time resided at Springfield Walmersly Rd Bury. David was the youngest of 3 brothers who all attended St John's College Luton. David took part in the rout of the boers at Paardeberg a day or so prior to Dreifontein and was one of 82 killed at Dreifontein in a pincer movement after having been held up all day by a very small number of boers, this success opened up the road to Bloemfoetain.
Captain J. Williams was a member of the 1st Btn the Welch Regt at his death on the 10th March 1900 at Dreitfontein, as per the headstone.
Rgds
Oriel Benfro