PDA

View Full Version : One of the last of the Few

Orielbenfro
11-10-2009, 12:29 PM
As part of my on going private project to record and research family military headsstones in Pembrokeshire I have recently added Wing Commander George Wherry OBE DFC to my database he died in 2003 aged 85 yrs with the annotation "one of the last of the few".
Whilst I have recorded large amounts of information about many airmen and former airmen who lived and/or died in Pembrokeshire from the 1st war upto the 2005 ~ I have been unable to establish any service hints or details off the web for this gentleman, not least that does not appear to have flown in the B. of B.
Can anyone add any info to the limited amount that I have retrived from limited sources.
Rgds
Orielbenfro

Neil Wilson
11-10-2009, 1:34 PM
Initial Google search found

RAF Bovingdon Officer Commanding
Oct 1958 Wg Cdr G H Wherry

Search for Flight Archive as well, and then search Wherry

Good luck

Geoffers
11-10-2009, 2:00 PM
I cannot help specifically, but you might try

The RAF, Air Force List
County Record Offices and larger references libraries usually have a partial run of them

Combat reports in WW2
Available via TNA's documentsonline

1938 and 1939 Air Force Lists are available via The Parish Chest (http://www.parishchest.com/shop/index.php?cmd=listlinkeditems&cat=D10949&breadcrumb=Military+Matters:1913+-+1939+Air+Force+Lists+by+Product)

MythicalMarian
11-10-2009, 7:49 PM
Although not the greatest of experts on the Air Force (although isn't a real gentlemanly service! - I love it to death) wouldn't 'one of the last of the few' mean that he flew Spitfires? The Spitfires were engaged in other battles than the famous one in 1940 :)

Just a thought. There may also be a case for researching just when the Spitfires last flew - as that could be what refers to the epitaph on your ancestor. I'm sure we'll have an aviator supremo on the Forum who can give you all you need on the Spits.

cfww2
11-10-2009, 9:25 PM
Thought George Henry Wherry was flying at the time of the Battle of Britain, he wasn't one of the "Few". That's because of two reasons:

1) to be, officially one of the "Few" and so receive the BoB Clasp, the serviceman would have had to have flown in one of the recognised Fighter squadrons. That list is quite restricted and does not include many units who were operating elsewhere in Britain, for example in Northern Ireland and some parts of Scotland and Wales. It also doesn't include Bomber or Coastal Command units that were also carrying out operations during the official BoB period.

2) Wherry received his Distinguished Flying Cross whilst with 48 Squadron in late 1940. 48 Squadron was a Coastal Command Squadron.

His service number was 39624. That should enable you to search for his promotions in the LG:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/AdvancedSearch.aspx?GeoType=London

CF

cfww2
11-10-2009, 10:02 PM
He also appears to have been mentioned in despeatches in June 1945.

CF

Sue Mackay
11-10-2009, 10:27 PM
Strange that this thread should come up today. I have spent the day updating my husband's tree in light of the 1911 census, and have realised that his grandmother's first cousin didn't die until 2002, aged 106. What's more he lived very near us - if only we had known! It transpires that Hubert Williams was the last surviving pilot from the Royal Flying Corps. He joined the RFC in 1915, aged 20, 'because the pay of two shillings and eight pence a day was better than the army and navy.' He rejoined the RAF in World War II, training pilots to fly and reaching the rank of squadron leader.

MythicalMarian
11-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Thought George Henry Wherry was flying at the time of the Battle of Britain, he wasn't one of the "Few". That's because of two reasons:

1) to be, officially one of the "Few" and so receive the BoB Clasp, the serviceman would have had to have flown in one of the recognised Fighter squadrons. That list is quite restricted and does not include many units who were operating elsewhere in Britain, for example in Northern Ireland and some parts of Scotland and Wales. It also doesn't include Bomber or Coastal Command units that were also carrying out operations during the official BoB period.

2) Wherry received his Distinguished Flying Cross whilst with 48 Squadron in late 1940. 48 Squadron was a Coastal Command Squadron.

His service number was 39624. That should enable you to search for his promotions in the LG:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/AdvancedSearch.aspx?GeoType=London

CF

So, this is what is meant by 'the Few'? Thank you so much cfww2 - I would have wallowed on in my ignorance thinking it had to do with Spitfires :D

We have some wonderful experts on this Forum - it's an absolute goldmine!

cfww2
11-10-2009, 11:03 PM
You were quite right to say that it had to do with Spitfires...to a point :D The majority of the fighter squadrons involved in the Battle of Britain were equipped with Spits and Hurricanes, though there were a spattering of Defiants and Gladiators too.

"The Few" were a brave band but weren't the only ones flying at that time. But they were the ones who received the Clasp, because of the regulations set forth by the Air Ministry:

http://www.battleofbritain1940.net/document-18.html

The full(ish) list of the Few, as defined above:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/Bob1940/roll.html

A better resource is The Men of the Battle of Britain by Wynn, which includes short biographies, and in some cases photos, of the above list. If anyone needs a lookup drop me a PM.*

CF

*I've also just started a WW2 forum that focuses on Commonwealth forces, but I'm not sure of BG's policy on put such links in one's signature.