PDA

View Full Version : Larceny age 14 1890

v.wells
05-10-2009, 10:03 PM
My first Black Sheep!

Annie Stuart b 1875 Broadwater, East Preston, Sussex was charged in Chichester quarter sessions with larceny and sentenced to 2 months hard labour. What does that entail? A prison or workhouse labour? There was no mention of the type of larceny committed.

I have her on the 1881 RG11/1115/8/7 census with parents Joseph and Anne Stuart with sisters Eda R 1871, Mabel M 1877, Alice C. 1878, and brother Albert H 1881.

On the 1891 RG 12/1131/45/2 census she is a housemaid in Chalfont Pk, Amersham, Buckinghamshire for a Frederick Penton family. Her family is still in Patching (father employed at Offington Lodge as gardener) except for Eda who is in Hove as a dressmaker.

In 1901 RG13/938/31/6 I have found Annie Stuart as a boarder, occ: Ironer/Washer at 51 Clarendon St. Hove. Eda lives at 36 Landsdowne St, Hove, as a dressmaker. The rest of the family is still in Patching. BUT I also found a Miss Stuart 1901 census RG13/932/83/21 about age 27 with NK written in all the fields, so which one is Annie Stuart? This Miss Stuart lived at 19 Sillwood also not far from Eda.

1911 finds Eda still in Hove, dressmaker and Annie working for the Newton family as ladies maid at 43 Lowndes St, Kensington SW, Chelsea. The Widow Newton is also from Broadwater, Sussex so there is a possible connection for that employment.

In 1911 the rest of the family is at Howth Castle, Dublin. Mother dies in 1922 and they all return to UK sometime after that. I have found the deaths of Anne (mother)1922 Dublin, Joseph (father) 1933 Bridport, Dorset along with Eda 1953, Alice 1937. Albert died 1948 Reading and Percy, the last born died 1946 Portsmouth.

As far as I have been able to find none of the children married or had any children. The family has died out.

I have found only 2 possible deaths for Annie Stuart (no middle initial) in either Camberwell 1923 3Q age 48 or Southwark 1935 2Q age 59. Which one seems a more likely fit?

What struck me was the family dynamics. What made Annie commit a theft? They were well treated where they lived, they could all read and write. The family didn't move away/change their name after this conviction. Joseph the father worked hard and climbed the ladder to become a notable gardener. She was basically shunned by the family with the exception of perhaps Eda her sister, who left the nest and struck out on her own.

Sorry it's so long winded but Annie has plagued my sleep for a week now and I wanted to share the plague with others :D

Mutley
05-10-2009, 10:36 PM
My first Black Sheep!

I have found only 2 possible deaths for Annie Stuart (no middle initial) in either Camberwell 1923 3Q age 48 or Southwark 1935 2Q age 59. Which one seems a more likely fit?

Sorry Vanessa that is an either / or. They are both the correct age and if the person who registered the death is not a recognisable name to you then I doubt you will be much the wiser.

Southwark and Camberwell are almost one and the same depending where in the borough. :confused:

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/Reg/districts/camberwell.html

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/Reg/districts/southwark.html

Now I will read the rest of the post. ;)

v.wells
05-10-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks Mutley - I thought I would have to order 1 and then the other. There are 7 death certs to get so I am trying to whittle it down to the most important which is 5.

I need deeper pockets!

carolchipp
05-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Hi Vanessa,
Are you sure this is your Annie? The Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle, Jan 4 1890 reports the case - Annie Stuart, sentenced to 2 months hard labour for larceny - but describes her as a tall, well-dressed woman, 28 years of age.
I was hoping to find you some detail of the larceny but it looks like she might not be yours.
Sorry
Carol

Mutley
05-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Just looking quickly at the census there are other Annie Stuarts about the same age.
In 1881 there is a Lambeth one born 1875
In 1901 wife of Charles born 1877 Kennington
In 1901 wife of Alexander born 1877 Camberwell
Any of these could also be the death that you have found.

I need deeper pockets!

Know the feeling :)

You were very lucky though to find her in the 1911, because there are several born Middx way, Chelsea and St. Pancras areas.

Thank goodness she is the only one born Broadwater. ;)

v.wells
05-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi Vanessa,
Are you sure this is your Annie? The Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle, Jan 4 1890 reports the case - Annie Stuart, sentenced to 2 months hard labour for larceny - but describes her as a tall, well-dressed woman, 28 years of age.
I was hoping to find you some detail of the larceny but it looks like she might not be yours.
Sorry
Carol

|bowdown|Thank you Carol for that - it is not my Annie! http://bestsmileys.com/crying/2.gif and I soooo wanted a black sheep! I will now have to find her on the 1891 census. How did you find it anyway? I googled the name with all sorts of variations and nothing popped up. I must be tired and a little bit insane at the moment.

carolchipp
05-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi Vanessa,
Sorry to take away your black sheep... I feel really mean|hug|.
I found her through the BL newspaper collection. Same name though, so she could still be one of yours! I'm still looking for my first real black sheep - some people have so many, it hardly seems fair. Having said that, I have one or two who could qualify but I can't think of them as black sheep now that I know them and their lives. Maybe it's about how you think of them. I console myself with the thought that my ancestors were probably happier without a black sheep in the family (but I still live in hope)
Carol

v.wells
06-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Thank you Carol - I can't access the BL newspaper collection from here so you're lucky. I don't think the one you found is mine as Annie would only have been 14 in 1890. There is probably a mistranscription of her name and I haven't found it yet. Stuart is not always an easy name to search but I'm off to do it.

v.wells
06-10-2009, 12:16 AM
I think the 1901 Miss Stuart is Annie. I went back and looked at how the enumerator filled out the form for the Annie with the wrong birthplace which I think may be right afterall. Now I will hunt for her in the 1891.

It sure helps when you can bounce ideas/thoughts off B-G members - a little objectivity helps :D

v.wells
06-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Doofus, I already have her on the 1891|blush|. I will trawl the indexes again.