PDA

View Full Version : McEwan Family

magic
04-10-2009, 1:08 PM
My gt grandmother name was Harriett McEwan 1852 from i think maybe Glasgow Scotland . She married Thomas Crowther 1852 . from Lancheshire .
when she was with Thomas she was a Braid ...something !
I would like to find out about her but not had much luck :confused:.could somebody maybe take a look at the cences for 1881 and 1871 ,so i can find her family .
many thanks .

michaelpipe
04-10-2009, 1:45 PM
The best way to find her family is to obtain the marriage cert. If I assume correctly that the ref to 1852 is a birth year, then a marriage that appears in 1876 could be theirs:

Dec Qtr 1876, Chorlton Reg Dist Thomas Crowther & Harriet McEwan on the same page Vol 8c Page 1002

There is a Harriett McEwan in the 1871 census that could be her:

1871 census
RG10; Piece: 4000; Folio: 84; Page: 21

13 Grove Street, Hulme Manchester

Margaret McEwan, wife of head, age 47, merchant's wife, b Scotland
Harriett, daughter, age 18, Braid T**ter, b Scotland
George, son, 17, glass blower, b Manchester
Alex(ander?), son, 15, printer, b Manchester

DRosebud
04-10-2009, 3:00 PM
Hello Magic,

If the reply from Michaelpipe is verified by you, then this 1881 Census record might be your Harriet:

RG 11/3582 Cheshire, Birkenhead, District 32, page 28
2 Haverlock St

Thomas Crowther, Head 28 Iron Moulder b Ashton, Lancashire
Harriet Crowther, wife 27 b Scotland (no occupation written)
Elizabeth Crowther, daug 3 b Mancester, Lancashire
Richard Crowther, son 1 b Mancester, Lancashire

By looking at scotsfamily.com/occupations and worldthroughthelens for old Scottish and English occupations, I believe your Harriet, in 1871 Census, was a Braid Tenter. The tenter is described as one who maintained the weaving looms, might even stretch the cloth for drying. A Braider was responsible for twisting threads or strips of leather into cord. Either way, Harriet would have worked long hours for little pay in my mind. Perhaps another B-G member can be more precise than I for you.

Deborah

magic
04-10-2009, 3:40 PM
Thankyou that sounds about right , how about when she was in Scotland .
can anyone find her pleaseeeeee

michaelpipe
05-10-2009, 1:06 AM
They are hard to find anywhere earlier. I assume that they moved from Scotland to Eng around 1853/54. There are several marriages in Scotland around 1850 where a McEwan marries a Margaret, but without any other names, it is difficult to proceed.
Your next step should be to obtain the marriage cert for Harriett & Thomas. You will hopefully be able to fiind her father's name from that.

JAP1
05-10-2009, 3:09 AM
In 1891, Harriett's birthplace is given as Glasgow Scotland.

By 1901, Thomas is a widower.

Unfortunately Harriett was born before the start of Statutory Registration in Scotland (it began in 1855).

JAP

kenmac
10-10-2009, 9:14 PM
The 1861 Census for the Hulme Parish in Manchester shows Harriett and her 2 brothers and one sister boarding with Charles Renshaw, his wife Mary and their 4 children at 15 Cross Street, Hulme, Manchester. Charles is shown to be a Cotton Skin Dryer.

The record shows the following for the McEwan kids

Harriett McEwan - Boarder - Age 9 - Born Manchester, Lancashire
George McEwan - " - Age 7 - Born Crewe, Cheshire
Sandy McEwan - " - Age 6 - Born Seacombe, Cheshire
Margaret McEwan - " - Age 1 - Born Liverpool, Lancashire

There is no sign of their parents on the record but this certainly appears to be the same family

magic
11-10-2009, 4:29 PM
Thanks for the replies . I know Harriet was born in Scotland ,but everything else adds up .Except for the 1861 cen ...it said she was born in Manchester !
:confused: